BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for Chicago dealers? There's quite a few in the area. I'd love to hear some of your recommendations if you have some.

I live in the city but my parents live out in the suburbs, so I don't mind driving out to one of those dealers if there's something special about them.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,816 Posts
Knauz in Lake Bluff gets a lot of positive reviews. They have a good size inventory. Elmhurst also gets good reviews. They're smaller and don't have quite as much inventory. Perillo has a pretty sorry reputation for customer service, but they're always nice enough to me when I wander in there to browse around.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've bought two cars from Motor Werks in Barrington and have been happy. Patrick BMW in Schaumburg seems to have improved. If you look at their website they have discounted pricing displayed on their website. Most dealers just show the full MSRP on their website.

I wanted to add that Knauz has an online negotiating tool on their website. You can basically send messages back and forth to the salesman and negotiate a deal without ever walking into the dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the suggestions.

I have a few follow up questions:

- if I lease a car out of one of the dealers in the suburbs, can I still take the car into another dealer for service or repairs covered by the warranty?
- If one particular dealer has the specific car I want, but I want to do business with another dealer, do dealers ever swap inventory?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,816 Posts
I've bought two cars from Motor Werks in Barrington and have been happy. Patrick BMW in Schaumburg seems to have improved. If you look at their website they have discounted pricing displayed on their website. Most dealers just show the full MSRP on their website.

I wanted to add that Knauz has an online negotiating tool on their website. You can basically send messages back and forth to the salesman and negotiate a deal without ever walking into the dealership.
Patrick also seems to be buying a lot of BMWNA executive demos lately.

- if I lease a car out of one of the dealers in the suburbs, can I still take the car into another dealer for service or repairs covered by the warranty?
- If one particular dealer has the specific car I want, but I want to do business with another dealer, do dealers ever swap inventory?
You can use any dealer for warranty and maintenance work. Some dealers only provide loaners to folks who bought from them.

Dealers can and do trade. It all depends on their relationship. Sometimes a dealer will have hard feelings or something toward another dealer and refuse to do business with them. It's not uncommon for dealers in the same market not to want to trade. The dealer that has the car wants you to come to their store. It also depends on what's being traded. The dealer who initiates the trade has to have something the other dealer wants.

·
Registered
447 Posts

It doesn't matter which dealer you buy from. You can take the car to any BMW dealership in the country for warranty work.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,383 Posts
Some dealers only provide loaners to folks who bought from them.
FYI

If you have a local BMW dealer you would use as yoou 'go to' dealer, WALK INTO THE SERVICE area and have a chat with one of the SAs or the manager. Chat them up, ask what their policy is on this issue. DONT ask the salesmen- ask the service guys. (Only the sales guys get on the phone, service guys are easier to catch in person) If you find a friendly SA who seems decent, ask for him every time you return. Rate him highly.

EVERYONE talks about 'relationships' with dealers' salesmen...IMO it is the SERVICE ADVISOR is the key to your long term happiness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perillo BMW have been great to work with. They have been dealing cars with our family since a long time. The service advisors have been great there too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts