BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know where the actual chime is located in the car? I want to take a hammer and smash it. I can not handle getting in to my car and have this thing chime at me 10 times before i go anywhere.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I think if we knew, and it was easy to get to, and did not mess up Mal's "iDon'tDrive", it would be unplugged by now.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Put your seatbelt on before starting the ignition. No chime. Just do it. You may not like that but at least that won't drive you as mad. :dunno:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
650iOzBoy said:
Put your seatbelt on before starting the ignition. No chime. Just do it. You may not like that but at least that won't drive you as mad. :dunno:
I must admit, this does not work as well as one might think.

In the 645, I press the fob, unlock the door. I get in, I still have the key in my right hand. I cannot fasten the seat belt until I put the key somewhere. Ah yes, I will put it in the ignition.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but you just have to get the key with a couple inches of the ignition and the chime starts. So I usually end up with 3 or 4 chimes before my seatbelt is fastened. If BMW would have just delayed the chime for 5-10 seconds this would not be an issue for most.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
chuck92103 said:
I don't know if you noticed or not, but you just have to get the key with a couple inches of the ignition and the chime starts. So I usually end up with 3 or 4 chimes before my seatbelt is fastened. If BMW would have just delayed the chime for 5-10 seconds this would not be an issue for most.
Hmmm. Is the chime programmed differently between countries? Here's my version. When I unlock the car (either by Comfort Access or button on fob), sit down on driver's seat, insert fob (or not insert) into slot, hit brakes and press start/stop button without seatbelts on, the chime sounds twice only. If I drive off without the seatbelts on, it starts to sound non-stop. If I have the seatbelts on before hitting brakes and press start/stop button, then no chime.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
chuck92103 said:
I must admit, this does not work as well as one might think.

In the 645, I press the fob, unlock the door. I get in, I still have the key in my right hand. I cannot fasten the seat belt until I put the key somewhere. Ah yes, I will put it in the ignition.

Yeah, last October I found that out and when I met Beewang the first time I showed him. It made me hopeful that we'd be able to retrofit at least the ignition start function of "comfort [t] access." Apparently a no go (literally and figuratively). I also posted it here some time ago but I am too lazy to search for it again.

BTW - Why are we discussing this so civilly this time? Where is Fallen Asshole, I mean Fallen Angel when we need to bash him?

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
Steffsig said:
I want to take a hammer and smash it. I can not handle getting in to my car and have this thing chime at me 10 times before i go anywhere.
just take a deep breathe, it'll be OK...:angel:

a slick friend of mine just bought a seatbelt connector and always leaves it in so you can try this to get a few less chimes...i dont know, i only get a few when i get in and start up and they dont bother me much :mad:

·
I roll thusly
58 Posts
I used to get irritated with it too, until my wife described it this way:

"It's saying 'bling', as in 'you need bling to afford this car'. So everytime you drive it's reminding you of your bling".

Now I only find it mildy annoying.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's located right under the driver's knee (above the brake/gas pedal). Look for a perforated, round plastic piece.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I only get the prolonged chime when a passenger's seat belt is on. If I don't put on my seatbelt (rarely happens, but I've tested it), I hear a chime for about 3-4 seconds and then its gone. I am afraid that this "problem" will be fixed if the idrive needs to be updated for something else. The idontdrive can have good glitches too! I wonder if the 155 mph limiter is working...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Give the poor old chime a break. It is a mellifluous and well tuned sound that the human ear supposedly responds to with an awareness of some mechanical function of the car, which at that moment, is not in the interest of the passenger's and driver's safety. Make any sense? Or are you about to :flame: me? :rofl:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Superfluous may be the better adjective.

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
:rofl:
Boxboss said:
Superfluous may be the better adjective.
or perhaps Supercilious :rofl:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Several folks have mentioned getting a seatbelt extended/connector type device to alleviate the chime issue.

Where might one find this for a 6 series? :dunno:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have found that I need to close the door before putting the key fob in the ignition, then put on my seatbelt BEFORE pressing the start button, if I don't want to hear the bling, bling, ping, ping of the famous chime.

El Cid.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
What annoys me is the ridiculous action of the chime when exiting the car.
Stop engine, remove key, remove seatbelt, open door (in rapid sequence): BLEEK, BLEEK.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
What annoys me is the ridiculous action of the chime when exiting the car.
Stop engine, remove key, remove seatbelt, open door (in rapid sequence): BLEEK, BLEEK.
Indeed. I can't figure out why and when it will chime. I turn off the engine. I press the button to unlock the doors. (I don't like the double pull.) I take the fob out of its totally redundant holder. I undo the seatbelt. I open the door. CHIME. CHIME. WTF? :dunno: Can't BMW AG's pusilanimous lawyers leave me alone already? It's only a frigging car! It's not my frigging life. Are angels being given their wings?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
:angel: everytime you exit the vehicle.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
:angel: everytime you exit the vehicle.
So you would think, but occasionally I do all of these trhings, and maybe even turn off the headlamps or open the trunk from the inside (to get out the briefcase stuffed with $100 bills to deposit at the bank), and THERE ARE NO CHIMES RINGING! WTF!?

I think the Quandts are simply trying to drive all Americans nuts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.