BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a pebble into my windshield the last month. The result was a small (.5") circular "starburst" chip. It is not growing (it has already gone through many heatcycles and about 1500 miles of driving).

A glass company wants $75-90 to repair it. I can buy a kit for about $10.

Does anyone have experience with one of those DIY kits? Do they work? My car is leased, so I really don't care if it is "perfect" or not.

- Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took a pebble into my windshield the last month. The result was a small (.5") circular "starburst" chip. It is not growing (it has already gone through many heatcycles and about 1500 miles of driving).

Does anyone have experience with one of those DIY kits? Do they work? My car is leased, so I really don't care if it is "perfect" or not.

- Mike
call your insurance company. most big named companies will have the rock chip repaired at no cost to you.

all state, state farm, ameriprise, allied, etc all do it without charging you a deductible.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
call your insurance company. most big named companies will have the rock chip repaired at no cost to you.

all state, state farm, ameriprise, allied, etc all do it without charging you a deductible.
Mercury doesn't.

In fact, my wife took a piece of wood nearly through her X5 windshield a couple weeks ago. It cost me a $250 deductible. :rolleyes:

- Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Save your money ... the big crack is coming

Avoid putting your defroster on high.

I had a very similar chip. Very small and had is for 4 months with no problem. And one very cold day I put the defroster on and SNAP............

Side to side crack.

And oh by the way. The "Fix" the glass company does is a "optical filler" which makes it look like it has gone away. Has no impact over the issue I suffered. Safe your money for when it breaks all the way.

Oh also the glass shop had to buy original BMW glass and it was EXPENSIVE .... thank goodness for the State Farm policy that I have ..... no charge.:D

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

- Mike
yeah, i used one of the kits with good success in the past. all that was left was a slight divot in the glass. the bullseye stayed clear and never expanded. aside from the pock in the outside of the glass, the repair is invisible. its still good 7 years later.

if its a UV activated kit, using a uv lamp to help harden it works very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts