BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, having just purchased an '06 X3 3.0, with the sport suspension

I've owned a bunch of E-36 coupes in past years, my favorite being a '98 E36 M3 with an H&R coilover suspension (I wish I still owned the car). This is my first venture into supersized Bimmer, and my first time with a slushbox tranny.

My impression is that it feels and drives like an honest-to-God Bimmer with absolutely great driving dynamics. I love the smoothness of the inline-6, and there's plenty of torque available in the low-end and midrange, which makes city driving easy. Much to my suprise, I like the auto tranny too. More power though, would always be welcome.

That said, here's my question: Is there a chip or software available for this car? I've had a Dinan chip and Active Autowerke software in my E36's, and I came away from both of those experiences unimpressed.

Are any chips available for the X3, and has technology improved in recent years so that a chip is worthwhile?

TIA

'06 X3 3.0 sport suspension, titanium siver
'06 Audi A3 3.2 DSG/tranny, Lava Gray

·
I hate doing dishes
3,009 Posts
You can look here (if you haven't already).

http://dinanbmw.com/

They have a high flow air box, larger throttle body and some performance software good for a few extra ponies if used together. Cost quite a few $$ for the small gain though. And there's the warranty concern.

I did hear they were having a 50% off sale on the software and chips through August.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Uncle Spud said:
Are any chips available for the X3, and has technology improved in recent years so that a chip is worthwhile?
Quite the contrary. In the E36 M3 (God bless it's noisy rattly soul), at least the Shark Injector gave you a few extra ponies via increased rev limiter, Premium fuel map and such. (At least until adaptation took that small gain out).

In the 3L X3 engine (similar to my 2003 330i), a chip won't give you diddly squat. :dunno:

The only thing it may improve is throttle response, but I'm not really convinced it's worth spending the money on that...

I put an AFE filter panel in the X3, but more because I think it filters better, and lasts a lifetime. But this was only $50 and without any warranties concerns, as opposed to the SW...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.