BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a chirping noise coming from the AC vents when the AC fan setting is on the lower settings (doesnt happen when its full blast). The wierd thing is it seems to happen when i drive on a rough/bumpy road or if I take a turn fast. Also it seems to switch locations, sometimes the noise will come from the middle vents, other times it will come from the far left driver side vent. Any clues on what this could be?

· Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,209 Posts
Canary in the system, keeps getting scared sh!tless whenever you drive loco? :dunno:

:rofl: Seriously, no idea (except the mental picture of Tweety there...:lmao:). Does fiddling with the temperature wheel located between the two central vents (you know, that goes from three blue dots to three red dots) help any?

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Haha it really does sound like there is a little chick stuck in the AC vents! I will give fiddling with the temp wheel a try and let you know how that goes.
My car does this as well. My guess is that it only does it when your fan speed is set to middle or below. I have decided it is my fan because if you kick up thefan speed, you will see it goes away. I'm guessing it is in need of an oiling or something. But mine has been doing it for over 50k miles and it still works fine, so no worries. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car does this as well. My guess is that it only does it when your fan speed is set to middle or below. I have decided it is my fan because if you kick up thefan speed, you will see it goes away. I'm guessing it is in need of an oiling or something. But mine has been doing it for over 50k miles and it still works fine, so no worries. :thumbup:
That is good news hehe. I can handle that little noise as long as it's nothing serious.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
my car does the same thing, omg kinda annoying when u think u have a luxury car and u hear that crap lol
Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think an E46 is really a "luxury" car. That is what the 5'er and 7'er are for. The 3'er is meant to be flogged within an inch of it's life.

· Fully Dysfunctional
2,413 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think an E46 is really a "luxury" car. That is what the 5'er and 7'er are for. The 3'er is meant to be flogged within an inch of it's life.
The E46 is considered an entry level compact luxury car...

· .oo=||=oo.
1,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the blower motor bearings. I replaced mine a while back (~70k miles ago) because the chirping was just too irritating at lower fan speeds, going over rougher pavement, and in some turns. Blower motor cost was around $300. Replacement is done via the engine bay and the firewall.

· .oo=||=oo.
1,201 Posts
That must surely be easy and fun to do.... On par to a CVV replacement and such... :tsk:
A little awkward because it's in the back of the engine bay. There's a firewall cover, but that comes out easy. Once the firewall cover is out of the way, it's not too bad, and certainly not as bad as doing a CVV. Sure, a little tricky, but if a CVV takes an 8 (out of 10) on a skill scale, I'd say the blower motor is about a 3 or 4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.