BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2002 325xi
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else heard a chirping noise comming from the front of the car when driving? It usually happens around 1500-2500 RPMs. Does anybody know what it is or does anyone have any suspicions?

if it helps: My car only hit 50k miles recently, hope its nothing serious.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have someone bump the idle until it makes the noise. Spray some windex, WD-40, whatever's handy onto the belts (don't shoot it into the alternator). If the noise goes away, replace the belts.

My car was making a chirping noise on cold startups despite having new belts put on when I installed the new engine. Two days before I bought tensioners for it, it threw both belts and left me on the side of the road. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and was able to drive back without a water pump spinning. I replaced both tensioners, idlers and belts again... and I still notice a chirping noise, normally when the car is warm. I can hear the chirp bounce off cars/walls next to me on decel at ~1500-2000RPM, as well. I'm beginning to think the alternator bearings are failing... but it's still charging and I don't hear the noise 90% of the time, so I'm not worried about it. :)

But... 50K... probably due for belts even if they look good the rubber could be hard or the belt could be stretched more than the tensioner can compensate for. I would replace the tensioners as well. They are not very expensive and are easy to replace once you're in there.

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts
If it chirps while you are driving it is probably your A/C compressor kicking in at times, and your belt is most likely loose and the initial torque of the compressor clutch will cause it to chirp if loose. A/C belt is front of engine, right side lower.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A little WD-40 on the belts isn't going to hurt anything. It certainly isn't going to do anything worse than belt dressing. You don't hose the things off, you just give them a quick millisecond spray to see if there is any change in noise. If it goes away, the belts are bad... and it really doesn't matter what you sprayed on them because they need to be replaced! :) You can also use a wax candle on cars where the belts are easily accessible, but on a BMW that would most likely result in the loss of a hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else heard a chirping noise comming from the front of the car when driving? It usually happens around 1500-2500 RPMs. Does anybody know what it is or does anyone have any suspicions?

if it helps: My car only hit 50k miles recently, hope its nothing serious.
Does it have a rattle like noise? Because I think this can also come from the VANOS which is also in front of the car...just guessing.

·
2002 325xi
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no theres no rattling noise. Just a chirping noise. I think i heard it once start after I took a turn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts