BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning one of the following BMW's! All the posts about the RFT's are making me very nervous about the M-Sport. I have owned a 1999 540i MSport, 2004 530i & 2008 535xi (current lease ending).

Option 1. 2011 535xi Premium 2, Premium, Cold Weather Black Sapphire / Oyster - $57,000

Option 2 2011 535xi M-sport (ZMP) , M-SPort (337) Premium 2, Premium, Split fold rear seat Jet Black / Oyster - $61,750

Thoughts on price & M-sport or not??

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning one of the following BMW's! All the posts about the RFT's are making me very nervous about the M-Sport. I have owned a 1999 540i MSport, 2004 530i & 2008 535xi (current lease ending).

Option 1. 2011 535xi Premium 2, Premium, Cold Weather Black Sapphire / Oyster - $57,000

Option 2 2011 535xi M-sport (ZMP) , M-SPort (337) Premium 2, Premium, Split fold rear seat Jet Black / Oyster - $61,750

Thoughts on price & M-sport or not??
The dhp is really a game changer. I would think long and hard about not saving the money and not having it. I dont have an opinion on pricing, though would think that there is more value on the m sport given the 2 price points

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks! I am definitely leaning towards M-Sport given the value as you mention. Is the strategy to skip the tire/wheel insurance and buy a new set of tires instead?
Get the M-SPORT, GET the Tire Warranty, if you like Jet Black, check out the Carbon Black. Looks Black from some angles, looks midnight blue from other angles. Its also EXCLUSIVE to the M-Sport which makes it a real head turner.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I appreciate your dilemma. I too was there.

I oped for the msport because, as already mentioned, the DHP matters. This is a big car (bigger than your current 5), and it needs more help to deliver sport performance. I also added the SAT for the same reason. Plus, that front M styling looks way better.

I too am concerned about the 19" tires given the reports here (and lack of a spare), but I want to believe the reports here do not represent the typical experience.

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Get the M-Sport pkg and strongly consider Carbon Black. It's beautiful and is almost like having a different color everyday of the week depending on weather and sunlight. Much more character than Jet black. Also, search DocBob pics to see my car. It's a 550i M-Sport in CB.
Good Luck!!!! You'll love it.
DocBob

·
Registered
564 Posts
The most significant feature of the M sport in my opinion to to get the carbon black paint. If the body mods and the wheel package (351M) are not that significant for you, you can get the Sport/DHP/SAT/anthracite headliner combination without the M sport. If the paint and the looks appeal to you, the Msport is a relatively decent value considering what's in it. I would not get the car without the DHP/SAT/anthracite headliner (for your interior) regardless of the M sport. This requires the sport package, which gets you a sport steerting wheel, and 19 inch 331 wheels which look good on the car also, just not as exclusive as the M sport.

·
Registered
564 Posts
In Canada you can get DHP without m-sport. Is that not the case in the USA?
Yes, in the US, you can get DHP without M sport, but you must then get the sport package, which is why the M sport becomes a good value for the extra money, particulary if your interior would benefit from the anthracite headliner which is in the M sport package. The difference between the M sport and sport/DHP/anthracite headliner options is $1100.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
You need to drive a car with DHP for a significant time. It is quite different from the standard car. The springs are much softer and in comfort, there is a lot of roll. Really, you need to make sure that you like that suspension.

All the rest is cosmetic.

Don't forget the sport auto trans.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts
I chose Sport/ZHP/DHP/Anthracite Headliner because for me the look of the M-sport package was not worth the extra money. How often are you standing in front of your car and looking at it?

I thought about not going with ZHP in order to avoid the 19" bubble-prone RFTs, but I drove the non-sport and realized it would be a huge mistake. The thin steering wheel alone made me feel like I was driving my dad's Buick.

For me the ARS is an essential option with this car. Nothing like taking a sharp exit ramp at 50mph and feeling no body roll :)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I chose Sport/ZHP/DHP/Anthracite Headliner because for me the look of the M-sport package was not worth the extra money. How often are you standing in front of your car and looking at it?

I thought about not going with ZHP in order to avoid the 19" bubble-prone RFTs, but I drove the non-sport and realized it would be a huge mistake. The thin steering wheel alone made me feel like I was driving my dad's Buick.

For me the ARS is an essential option with this car. Nothing like taking a sharp exit ramp at 50mph and feeling no body roll :)
Yes op sport/dynamic is a great addition and I feel like worth the upgrade... Spend the $1100 on other options and still get the driving performance upgrades that the M has.

So since you have the crappy stock-RFT's how have they been holding up :D

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts
So since you have the crappy stock-RFT's how have they been holding up :D
Don't have the car yet ... expect to take delivery in late April. Praying they don't put Goodyears on it, but doubt those prayers will be answered. Might have to swap out the tires for non-RFTs and take my chances.

·
Compulsive Money Spender
80 Posts
I have the Michelin runflats on mine from factory, they've been great. Hopefully you will get the same!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought a 2010 E60 with M-Sport but this time around (2011 F10) I decided on the non M-Sport but with all the bits that matter; e.g. DHP, Sport Package. So the differences are cosmetic.

The main reason I didn't go M-Sport this time around was that you could not get the dark wood interior (at least with Black Dakota). Secondary reason was that the M-Sport decreases ground clearance and I'm always worried about parking bumpers and the occasional time I put the car through the car wash.

However, M-Sport looks fantastic, especially in Carbon Black. I love the way my E60 looks and if you haven't had M-Sport before (and aren't looking for dark wood and aren't worried about ground clearance) then I think it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have the Michelin runflats on mine from factory, they've been great. Hopefully you will get the same!
Only those of us who got RWD got them. The all seasons on AWD come with obviously deffective GY.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Only those of us who got RWD got them. The all seasons on AWD come with obviously deffective GY.
My RWD car came with Goodyear Excellence Summers. It's just a draw from the batch of approved OE fitments as to which you get .

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've seen a few people say "I ordered M-sport because it changed the character of the car". While this is true over a base F10 for my build the M-sport is just an aesthetic upgrade so I skipped it (even though I've grown to like the look since ordering... just not worth changing now). It's the presence of DHP (included in M-sport) that improves the sportiness.

I would break it down like this:

Package - Has DHP?
M-sport - Standard
Sport - Optional
Base - No

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My RWD car came with Goodyear Excellence Summers. It's just a draw from the batch of approved OE fitments as to which you get .
I should have qualified: 550i with sport and msport ordered now should not come with GY.
I am not sure about 535i, but I suspect it's the same

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.