Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to replace the transfer pipe and valley pan on my X5 4.8i with 153,000 miles. I read that AGA is probably the best but ECS tuning has a nice Water Pipe Service Kit (#2738449) for under $400 that includes everything needed (coolant, valley pan, seals, URO expandable pipe etc.). I would prefer an AGA pipe based on some reviews but has anyone tried the URO kit from ECS? My reading suggests that the AGA pipe is Viton and the URO is a standard seal. I'll be doing this job myself and want to make the right choice. I am leaning toward the ECS kit due to the hundreds of dollars saved but I would like to hear of other suggestions or how well the URO pipe has held up. Opinions appreciated. I don't want to use Bimmerfix.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...MIzKPS2q7I4AIVCUsNCh0ajgohEAQYAiABEgLaA_D_BwE

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
What is ***8220;a standard seal,***8221; Buna-N?

Viton o-rings are an alternative to Buna-N seals in automobile engines. The Viton fluorocarbon o-rings have similar functional characteristics to Buna-N, but with much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is "a standard seal," Buna-N?

Viton o-rings are an alternative to Buna-N seals in automobile engines. The Viton fluorocarbon o-rings have similar functional characteristics to Buna-N, but with much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics.
I cannot find documentation of what URO uses for their seals. Buna-N may be accurate. If the pipe quality is comparable to that of AGA, I would think the seal material is the next piece to compare. I have not been able to compare the pipes side by side. URO seems to be a little more hit or miss on quality but I would think a good inspection before installation could remove some of that possibility.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear Hack213. I would like to find Viton replacement seals to use with the URO system. I wonder if that is possible without too much aggravation.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the URO water pipe kit. I really liked that ECS has the full kit assembled already. For $367.97 (caught it on sale) from ECS there was no way I would spend hundreds more for the AGA pipe. I will have to inspect everything well before installation. I will need to order two additional gallons of coolant though if I am going to drain the entire system. They only give 1 gallon to replenish what is lost during installation. I'll post a picture of the kit when received.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts