Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I did the brakes on my 2010 e92 335i a little while back and a few days after that I noticed that my steering had gotten pretty stiff. I doubt the issue has anything to do with the brakes but while changing them I was turning the steering wheel back and forth with the car off to get good angles to work on the calipers. I didn't look into the issue too much at first and then one day added a little bit of power steering fluid to the fill line because it was about a centimeter too low on the dip stick. It seems to be marginally better but still not the way I remembered it being. I drove it for the first time in a couple weeks today and when turning the wheel at lower speeds it has a very inconsistent or choppy stiffness while turning the wheel and sometimes resists being straightened out when coming of of sharper turns. It sounds like the steering pump is working properly when pop the hood and listen as I turn the wheel but I'm pretty stumped on where I should start my investigation whether it be the power steering pump or steering shaft/ u joint. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
243 Posts
In my experience, I would say that turning the steering wheel without the car running would not harm the shafts or joints. When you describe the steering as "pretty stiff", I assume that you mean less power in the power steering. So I would focus on the power steering unit itself. is there any whining or odd noises whilst turning the steering wheel back and forth with the car running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ship4u, I was thinking that maybe I had used a little too much force in turning the wheel side to side at the end of its travel. Also yes stiff meaning that it seams like the power steering pump is working inconsistently while turning. There are no noticible noises out of the ordinary. I thought I could hear the psp working which is why I started questioning the shaft but I suppose hearing it doesn't necessarily mean it's working properly. Maybe I'll pull the pump tomorrow and inspect. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you haven't already, jack the front up and visually inspect the steering to ensure that nothing has gone awry. But I don't think that is where the issue is. The fact that your symptoms occurred "a few days later" and are inconsistent (i.e., "sometimes resists") reinforce, for me, the probability that it is the power steering unit that is acting up.
Please post how it turns out. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts