Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article

Be aware, local residents. These are equipped with 6-speeds and oil coolers, the latter for long-distance pursuits. :yikes:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Interesting that they put light bars on em at all. Most chippie units I've seen lately are already slicktops.

My guess is that, like with the Stangs years ago, these will go in high-speed stretches throughout the state, and likely not operate much in urban areas.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
We've had Camaro's here for awhile now. NCSP has a few of them. Also, last year while going thru Columbia, SC with a friend, we got pulled by one. What sucked was that it looked like a normal red camaro that wanted to push it in the left lane. So, what do we do, push it with him. Then we hear the siren and the hidden blue lights go on. Party's over... :(

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Mystikal said:
Article

Be aware, local residents. These are equipped with 6-speeds and oil coolers, the latter for long-distance pursuits. :yikes:
From an article in the paper this morning:

"The cars not only have beefed-up suspensions but also carry 310-horsepower, 5.7-liter aluminum engines normally found only in Chevy's Corvettes. They're faster and offer better handling than standard CHP cruisers, Wright said.

And these cars are designed to remain relatively inconspicuous. Unlike standard black-and-white CHP cars with large red lights, the Camaros will have the CHP lettering and seal on the doors but no lettering on the trunk, Wright said.

Even the smaller-than-standard roof light bar, with LED lights, is designed to blend in with other cars on the road. "It looks like a ski rack," Wright said."

Yet another reason why I'll likely be wiring a Valentine unit into my car this weekend.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: CHP unveils low-profile Camaros

Cliff3 said:

From an article in the paper this morning:

"The cars not only have beefed-up suspensions but also carry 310-horsepower, 5.7-liter aluminum engines normally found only in Chevy's Corvettes.
:confused: Since when do Camaro's not come with LS1's from the factory? Hell, you can get the 320hp SS one and outrun the cops too, I suppose. :thumbup:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: CHP unveils low-profile Camaros

Mystikal said:

:confused: Since when do Camaro's not come with LS1's from the factory? Hell, you can get the 320hp SS one and outrun the cops too, I suppose. :thumbup:
Dunno, I don't pay much attention to Camaros or anything else that originates from the General (except for those freaking Suburbans that are soccer mom runabouts around here). Their vehicles do not fit my style. Perhaps the Chippie giving the guided tour was confused or otherwise misquoted about the horsepower figure?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Re: CHP unveils low-profile Camaros

Cliff3 said:

Dunno, I don't pay much attention to Camaros or anything else that originates from the General (except for those freaking Suburbans that are soccer mom runabouts around here). Their vehicles do not fit my style. Perhaps the Chippie giving the guided tour was confused or otherwise misquoted about the horsepower figure?
Nah, probably just the PR people trying to make the cars sound more threatening than they really are. Works on 95% of the population anyhow.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Kaz said:
My guess is that, like with the Stangs years ago, these will go in high-speed stretches throughout the state, and likely not operate much in urban areas.
In the late 80s-early 90s it seemed like I saw more CHP Mustangs than crown vics and caprices combined all throughout San Diego, Orange and LA counties. On the 5, the only thing comes close to being non urban south of Grapevine is the stretch through Pendleton

Driving a Mustang on the freeway at night in those days was fun...people would move right when you came up behind them in the #1 lane :D

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: CHP unveils low-profile Camaros

Cliff3 said:

Yet another reason why I'll likely be wiring a Valentine unit into my car this weekend.
When I first moved to CA, one of the coolest things about the state was that the CHP couldn't buy its own radar units. They could borrow units from local jurisdictions, but they almost never used them in the more built up areas. Then, one day, OC went bankrupt. For months, the stretch of the 5 from the Border Patrol checkpoint near the SD/OC line to Costa Mesa was seething with CHP cars sitting at the top of on ramps with radar units. Sigh.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Just some GM trivia...

The LS1 may be found in non-Z06 Corvettes, Camaro Z28s and SS, and the various V8 Firebirds (Trans Am, Formula, Firehawk, etc.) I've heard of minor cam and valve differences between the Vette and F-body engines, but I don't know if there's any truth to that. Don't believe GM's so-called horsepower ratings - Z28s will dyno at 350 rwhp bone stock, just like the Corvette. :yikes:

The Vettes weigh less, have a far more sophisticated suspension, are more aerodynamic, and have different gearing. In a skilled driver's hands it will beat a Camaro on the dragstrip and blow it away at an autocross or road course. The Camaro's live axle makes it easier to launch at the strip, and the suspension is surprisingly agile, but it's no match for the C5. Still, F-cars are nearly half as expensive, and they can be had for an absolute steal used.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
if you're going to get pulled over

you might as well get pulled over by a sports car. kinda embarrassing to get pulled over by a malibu. but a camaro...well at least it has some guts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts