BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 535i 6-speed, and I don't drive it very much. It often sits for 2 - 5 days, and when I get back in the car, the Auto Start/Stop often doesn't work. I reported this problem during a service visit in May 2016 at 30800 miles, and the battery was replaced. I'm at 37900 miles now. I don't know anything about the battery that was installed (AGM, GEL, WET, etc.), except that it came from the BMW dealer.

So my daughter gave me this charger today. I'm wondering if it is suitable for use with my car. (According to the FAQ's at BaccusGlobal.com, it should be good.) If not, what are the brands of "trickle charger" should I go looking for?

The Owner's Manual says not to plug chargers "into the socket". Does this mean the cigarette lighter socket? (This charger comes with an accessory for plugging into the cigarette lighter.)

The OM says to use the under hood terminals for charging, which sounds easy enough.

The B&D charger has indicator lights for "charging" and for "fully charged". The FAQ's say I can leave it connected until I'm ready to drive, and it will keep the battery at optimun charge level.

But questions for those of you who use chargers:
Do I need to be fairly vigilant about disconnecting the charger when the battery is fully charged?
Could I leave the charger on the car overnight, for example?

Thanks for helping out a warm weather newbie!

·
Registered
569 Posts
You should be able to leave the battery connected for an extended period of time. I have a CTEK charger and I have left my 535i hooked up for months at a time when I go to my winter place in Florida.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts