Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has knowledge where to buy a chromatic rear-view mirror, as an upgrade for my '97 528i.....Would appreciate some help. Thanks.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,541 Posts
Jerwoy1234 said:
Anybody has knowledge where to buy a chromatic rear-view mirror, as an upgrade for my '97 528i.....Would appreciate some help. Thanks.
chromatic rear views are an easy find. Hit the dealer up. I don't know if your '97 528 will have the power harness (best to look for yourself), but on my mother in law's non premium package (and thus no auto dimming rear view mirror) '01 X5, the harness was there.

When I upgraded to the compass mirror in my 540, I removed the auto dimming one and installed it in my mother in law's car. Took 5 mins. Check to see if your car has a 4 or 8 wire harness in the cover on the windshield. You'll need to remove your current mirror to check.

·
Registered
226 Posts
PropellerHead...I'm wanting to do the Compass Mirror mod myself. Did you get yours from the dealer? Will there be any problems installing on a 97 528? My current mirror has the manual dimmer switch and the alarm thingy at the bottom.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,541 Posts
blue_uhuru said:
PropellerHead...I'm wanting to do the Compass Mirror mod myself. Did you get yours from the dealer? Will there be any problems installing on a 97 528? My current mirror has the manual dimmer switch and the alarm thingy at the bottom.
I did get mine from the dealer. Pacific BMW as a matter of fact. Fit right into my '00 540 where it replaced an auto dimming unit. The only problems I could see are the ones I expressed above. Remove your old mirror and take a look for the harness.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
PropellerHead said:
Fit right into my '00 540 where it replaced an auto dimming unit.

PropellerHead,

Is the new unit with out auto dimming? I also have a 00 540 and I like the thought of having a compus (SP. :p ) in my car, I travel alot and don't have a navi in my car.... but my wife does and isn't driving much :confused:

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,541 Posts
mgianetto said:
PropellerHead,

Is the new unit with out auto dimming? I also have a 00 540 and I like the thought of having a compus (SP. :p ) in my car, I travel alot and don't have a navi in my car.... but my wife does and isn't driving much :confused:
It auto-dims as well.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
sph17 said:
How much was your upgraded mirror?

I would think it is hard to see anybody behind you with a bunch of grass growing in the mirror....Is that a option :rofl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts