BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tips only want to slide on about 1.5" Should they slide on all the way to where the end of the chrome tips matches the end of the factory tip? Any one have pics?

Thanks

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Rmart said:
]Should they slide on all the way to where the end of the chrome tips matches the end of the factory tip?

Thanks
Yes.

One trick I've found is to wait until the exhaust cools down, and either heat up the chrome tips in a pot of boiling water or a hair dryer. That will make the tips expand a little to slide in easier, and once it cools down it'll be a snug fit to the exhaust and heat up/cool down with the exhaust to remain a snug fit.

Also, use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the bottom of the tip to get it to sit in flush with the pipe.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I just used my trusty deadblow mallet and carefully tapped em on. I dind't pound em all the way in; I left em sticking out about 1/2in and staggered to match the curve of the bumper.

$13.99/ea from Circle for 82 12 9 410 926

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Kaz said:
I just used my trusty deadblow mallet and carefully tapped em on. I dind't pound em all the way in; I left em sticking out about 1/2in and staggered to match the curve of the bumper.

$13.99/ea from Circle for 82 12 9 410 926
Thanks, Kaz. I'll have to order myself a pair. :thumb:

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
fix for the chrome talipipes

I had the same issue, and i ended up driving around for a few days with the tips on about 3/4 of the way in. Even with a rubber mallet they felt like they didn't want to go in any further.

A few days later, after a driving one day about (15-20 mins after) I thought I'd try again - The tips were a heated from the drive and the slide right down with minimal "help" from the mallet.

heat them up, or try it after a drive. I know the exhaust pipes will probably be expanded too, but my tips just slid on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts