BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

chunks of concrete in the road

1132 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  peripherique
:mad: Driving from Boston to Washington,D.C. very early Monday morning, almost to work when on I-95 in MD I'm doing about 70mph & changing lanes when all of a sudden there's huge chunks of concrete in the road! Didn't react fast enough & hit at least one piece of the concrete - coffee cup flies out of the cup holder hits my leg & rolls around on the floor. The tire monitor goes off. (rft) Now I see all kinds of cars & trucks on the sides of the road. I decide to blow off work & go right to the dealer in Baltimore. Get off at the next exit & head back north, look over & see the south bound lanes are now all backed up. Anyways, damage: right front tire has huge gash in sidewall & wheel all scuffed up. Right rear tire looks ok but wheel is all messed up. Dealer says need to replace the 2 right side tires & the right rear wheel & alignment. Can't believe no other damage :) not even to the suspension! BMW tougher than I realized. :thumbup:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
wtf?

Glad you got away safe!
all of a sudden there's huge chunks of concrete in the road!
My car ran over something very hard last week on the highway. There was no tire monitor error and my right front tire/rim look fine however, I can feel the vibration at any speed.

I am dropping off my car tomorrow morning.. hopefully, no damage to tire/rim..
Holy crap! Were the chunks from an overpass or something that fell off a truck?
Sucks... I have had issues with things on the road in my last 2 cars.

1. One time a guy who bought a chair at a yard sale decided not to tie down the chair in his truck. Chair ends up in middle of road. Destroys my front bumper.
2. Piece of plywood on road... Guy in front of me runs over it, and it slams into my hood and bumber. New head light and bumper/hood paint repair.
3. Mud Flap flys off truck on I-70. No damage to car, but scared the crap out of me.

Things like these are unavoidable. Comprehensive insurance will cover your costs. Usually a small deductible, and not your fault, so rates won't go up.
I think they fell off a truck :mad: Our roads aren't that bad in MD (yet) ;)
Holy crap! Were the chunks from an overpass or something that fell off a truck?
Wowsers.... Glad to hear that you're ok... :)
I am in a similar situation as you a week ago, the only difference is both my right side rims and tires are busted but i just got them brand new today. i m back in the game.
I've personally had two different times where a huge chunk of tire came flying out of nowhere and nailed my windshield. I thought my windshield was going to shatter once I heard the deafening sound of it hitting... but nope, just some scuffs that came right off.

Glad you're okay OP. :)
:dunno: Wow, it's hard to believe - seems to be rather common :yikes:
Glad you got your car back, sorry it took week though.
I am in a similar situation as you a week ago, the only difference is both my right side rims and tires are busted but i just got them brand new today. i m back in the game.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.