BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. This is a bit long. Apologies. I have a 2010 5' E60 LCI, 528xi, N52N, USA, (NV13, Production month: 10/2009). The original cic has gone bad.

The objective: Find the right cic replacement
I am looking for help from those with experience selecting a cic replacement part. I'm uncertain if a superceded part number or a Bilaterally exchangeable part number can be used vs. the original part.

Thank you in advance for any sage advice!

What's the confusion?
The part number for the faulty cic unit I just pulled out (Car Infotainment computer IBOC, Part #65129222876) doesn't match the replacement part # that comes up when I search my VIN (C389661) on realoem.com or bimmercat.com. Exchange CIC/IBOC, Part #65129199616 is the cic that comes up on both. And my old cic isn't listed as having been superceded by the this part # either.

My three questions:
(1) Do I go with the realoem Exchange CIC / IBOC part #65129199616? Even though it doesn't match (or show as superceding) the part # I pulled from the car? (I'm thinking no to this option)

(2) Or should I only replace the cic with the exact same cic/part that came out of the car, (Car Infotainment computer IBOC, Part #65129222876)? (This would work fine I'm sure but see #3)

(3) Or can I go with a cic listed as a "Bilaterally Exchangeable" cic unit that has "superceded" my cic part (Car Infotainment computer IBOC, #65129248389)? (If this supercedes "bilaterally" mine, wouldn't it fit?)

A direct search by the old part # shows a "Bilaterally Exchangeable" part
Searching by the old cic part #65129222876 (and not by VIN) makes me think option (3) above is okay. Here's what comes up:
Screenshot 2021-05-03 153022.png

To me it looks like #65129248389 has not only superceded my part #65129222876 but is "exchangeable". This is what I want to confirm from those with more experience on these matters.

FYI: My CIC issue: the reboot cycle
Just to fill in some detail. My cis is stuck rebooting, BMW logo on/off on screen. Unit makes a whir & click noise continuously (like a CD eject noise). From what I hear this is a common problem and usually means it's dead. Although I'm open to alternate ideas, if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
471 Posts
First of all, I would imagine any CIC unit would be fine as I didn't care what one I got to do my retrofit. Just made sure I coded it correctly. I wish I could be more helpful about the reboot cycle. I thought I had read somewhere that when the hard drive dies it can do that, would be worthwhile potentially trying to change that out? I upgraded mine from a traditional spinning hard drive to an SSD, but that was just for fun, still have the old drive lying around. It's quite easy to get to the drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, I would imagine any CIC unit would be fine as I didn't care what one I got to do my retrofit. Just made sure I coded it correctly. I wish I could be more helpful about the reboot cycle. I thought I had read somewhere that when the hard drive dies it can do that, would be worthwhile potentially trying to change that out? I upgraded mine from a traditional spinning hard drive to an SSD, but that was just for fun, still have the old drive lying around. It's quite easy to get to the drive.
Thanks for the thoughtful response! You got my wheels turning in new directions:

CIC parts compatibility
Interesting, I hadn't given much thought to the idea that any CIC unit would be fine, as long as they are all CIC. I saw a few threads around where people had issues with units being physically different in size. But now that I think about it some of those conversations could have been CCC to CIC retrofit related. It may be that as long as it is compatible with my 2010 e60 528xi they would all work.

HD to SSD (this is interesting)
The hard drive! I hadn't even considered this. Thank you for this tip. Last night I pulled it out. Such a simple part, that could easily be the culprit!

You've now got me thinking, I should absoultely investigate cloning the hard drive to SSD before buying a new CIC. I've got nothing to lose. I spent a few hours researching last night. This thread was full of nice detail - DIY: Install SSD in CIC. I've already got a Linux distro running. I just need the right SSD and a few other pieces of equipment.

My first task will be to determine whether or not the old CIC hard drive can be cloned at all. Maybe it only has a few damaged sectors...but It may be damaged beyond readability (that reboot clicking noise), in which case I won't have anything to clone.

Two things I have not yet researched is (1) whether or not you can use a blank drive (I think not) or (2) is it possible to use someone else's base e60 CIC HD image to work with (and then recode what you need to later?). Of course, getting someone to give you a copy of their cloned drive image may be too hard to arrange.

I've got something to go on here.

Thanks again. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Regarding CIC parts compatibility, you could have problems if you got a unit from an X3 or something that has a different shaped dash board (not sure if the button panel on the front can be swapped). I believe you can use a CIC from an E90 but the screen bezels are slightly different.

For the hard drive, it was a fair bit of work for me, but a fun challenge, I'm happy to help wherever I can. I installed a copy of QNX Neutrino in a VM on my Mac and I used DD to clone the disk to an image. Happy to try to send you a copy though it is 120GB (was originally 80 but I got a 120 GB SSD so increased the music storage part, because why not?). I have the physical disk and would be willing to send it to you but I also don't know if it's compatible to do that or not. Since I was retrofitting, I went though a lot of forum posts and such to figure out how to virginize my unit so that I could create my own FSC codes for it to enable navigation. Also needed it to be on software version c1a so that the script that you have to put on a USB drive in the glove box would work. What happens if you attempt to boot it without the hard drive installed? I can't say I ever tried that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding CIC parts compatibility, you could have problems if you got a unit from an X3 or something that has a different shaped dash board (not sure if the button panel on the front can be swapped). I believe you can use a CIC from an E90 but the screen bezels are slightly different.

For the hard drive, it was a fair bit of work for me, but a fun challenge, I'm happy to help wherever I can. I installed a copy of QNX Neutrino in a VM on my Mac and I used DD to clone the disk to an image. Happy to try to send you a copy though it is 120GB (was originally 80 but I got a 120 GB SSD so increased the music storage part, because why not?). I have the physical disk and would be willing to send it to you but I also don't know if it's compatible to do that or not. Since I was retrofitting, I went though a lot of forum posts and such to figure out how to virginize my unit so that I could create my own FSC codes for it to enable navigation. Also needed it to be on software version c1a so that the script that you have to put on a USB drive in the glove box would work. What happens if you attempt to boot it without the hard drive installed? I can't say I ever tried that.
Thank you for the kind offer to help. 120 GB isn't so easy to share so before I bother you with that I'll see if I can get the current hard drive cloned. Also, now that you mention it, I will take your suggestion and plug the CIC back in without the hard drive and see if anything happens. Thanks for the idea. I'm sure it won't be good but it may be just enough to learn something new. If the rebooting still happens then it may just be the CIC itself, for example.

Speaking of coding. Did you use NCS Expert? Any advice on where the best place to get NCS Expert and the daten files? I imagine NCS Dummy is another helpful item to have as well.

Thank you again for your engaging replies!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yes, I used NCS Expert to code the CIC retrofit to my car (it worked without it, but I had no sound as it came from a vehicle with a different sound system) and it wasn't configured for the options on my car. I used NCS Expert to update the VO to match my vehicle and then coded some individual customization I wanted. You can download the standard tools from bimmergeeks. Yes, NCS Dummy is useful when you are coding individual features but not needed for modifying a VO. You won't need to use either of these if you don't end up having to replace your CIC unit. If you want to see the various customizations I've made to my CIC over time you can see all the changes I've tracked on Github. Have you scanned with ISTA or INPA to see if there are any codes in the CIC? I kind of doubt you'll get anything since it keeps restarting, but I would at least try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I used NCS Expert to code the CIC retrofit to my car (it worked without it, but I had no sound as it came from a vehicle with a different sound system) and it wasn't configured for the options on my car. I used NCS Expert to update the VO to match my vehicle and then coded some individual customization I wanted. You can download the standard tools from bimmergeeks. Yes, NCS Dummy is useful when you are coding individual features but not needed for modifying a VO. You won't need to use either of these if you don't end up having to replace your CIC unit. If you want to see the various customizations I've made to my CIC over time you can see all the changes I've tracked on Github. Have you scanned with ISTA or INPA to see if there are any codes in the CIC? I kind of doubt you'll get anything since it keeps restarting, but I would at least try.
Great info. I thank you again.

NCS Expert
Thanks for the reminder that I can download from BimmerGeeks Standard Tools. I had seen that...and forgotten. Looks like the download includes everything you need minus the Daten files (a separate download). I saw, for example, NCS Expert; NCS Dummy and a few other things I did not recognize. I didn't see INPA or ISTA (for diagnostics I think) or WinKFP (for flashing/reprogramming modules I gather) but they may have been there (I may not need either of those).

I've been putting in effort to learn NCS Expert before trying to use it. Been reading & watching YouTube. Seems straightforward enough now that I've seen it in action and have an idea what not to click. I may not need to use it if my hard drive clone effort is a success. Still working on that.

Daten Files
There are a ton of Daten files I see. Do I only need to download BASE and the one for my E60?

Github
Awesome. Thanks for the Github link to your tracked CIC changes. Very interesting.

ISTA, INPA
I have not scanned with either of those tools. I do have BimmerGeek Protool (Diagnostic & Coding) and there are no CIC codes that I can see. I may not have purchased Protool but when I started down this road I didn't know about ISTA or INPA. With Protool, it is nice to not have to lug my computer into the car. I haven't done any coding with it yet.

Next up: cloning the old CIC drive
Next steps for me are cloning the hard drive. I'll certainly report back here on my progress (might take me a while to get that all figured out. Lots of reading to do).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
When you install the Standard Tools it does INPA, WinKFP, NCS Expert, Tool32, and I think a few others. I've never paid attention to daten files myself so I don't think you will need to necessarily worry about those.

If you've scanned for codes with Protool then I think you've already satisfied that need as I don't know that INPA reports much more than it does (haven't used Protool myself).

Should it end up that you do not need to replace your CIC you will never need any of these tools anyway. When I did my CIC retrofit I used Tool32 to update the VIN in the unit to match my car, NCS Expert to set the VO in the CIC, NCS Dummy to figure out some of the customizations I needed in the CIC and to enable things like traffic and HD radio. I also had to use a few tools to make certificates to install on the CIC unit so that I could provide it with my own FSC code as I had not purchased one anywhere and didn't want to use an emulator box.

Cloning the hard drive and/or updating to an SSD was a fair bit of work. I used DD on my Mac to make an image file (clone) of the drive. If you want to enlarge the music portion you will need to install the QNX Neutrino VM so that you can read the file system of the drive. In Github I also put a document with some instructions I wrote for myself on how to clone the disc and set up the partitions on it. Unfortunately I saved it in rich text rather than plain text so it's not particularly readable on github and works best if you download it and open in an rich text viewer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you install the Standard Tools it does INPA, WinKFP, NCS Expert, Tool32, and I think a few others. I've never paid attention to daten files myself so I don't think you will need to necessarily worry about those.

If you've scanned for codes with Protool then I think you've already satisfied that need as I don't know that INPA reports much more than it does (haven't used Protool myself).

Should it end up that you do not need to replace your CIC you will never need any of these tools anyway. When I did my CIC retrofit I used Tool32 to update the VIN in the unit to match my car, NCS Expert to set the VO in the CIC, NCS Dummy to figure out some of the customizations I needed in the CIC and to enable things like traffic and HD radio. I also had to use a few tools to make certificates to install on the CIC unit so that I could provide it with my own FSC code as I had not purchased one anywhere and didn't want to use an emulator box.

Cloning the hard drive and/or updating to an SSD was a fair bit of work. I used DD on my Mac to make an image file (clone) of the drive. If you want to enlarge the music portion you will need to install the QNX Neutrino VM so that you can read the file system of the drive. In Github I also put a document with some instructions I wrote for myself on how to clone the disc and set up the partitions on it. Unfortunately I saved it in rich text rather than plain text so it's not particularly readable on github and works best if you download it and open in an rich text viewer.
Ok, I see. So Standard Tools installs basically everything you need minus the daten files (if they are even needed). I'm not familiar with Tool32 so I will read up on that one as well. And thanks again for sharing what you used each tool for. That's quite helpful to know for beginners like me.

When do you need FSC Activation codes?
Your sentence about needing certificates to install on the CIC so you can provide your own FSC codes got me thinking. I didn't know about this process. I need to read up on FSC codes. A quick Google search and I do see posts like How to generate BMW NBT & CIC FSC code. I am not doing a CCC to CIC conversion or adding new features, will I need FSC Codes? If my hard drive clone works, I won't need any but if I have to put in a new CIC unit, will I need codes for my VIN? If so, I'll start reading about it now.

Cloning my old CIC drive to an SSD
I'm doing what you mentioned using OSX right now. It seems to be working, which I take as a good sign! I ended up using my mac as well because it was so simple. I've been trying to find the right SSD hardware to purchase. Many of those mentioned in forums is extinct. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I did the following:
  • Pulled apart an old external IDE USB drive I had lying around and swapped the hard drive for the 80 Gig TOSHIBA drive that I pulled out of my CIC.
  • Plugged that into my Mac.
  • Launched a terminal and typed $ diskutil list to find the drive (it was the only one listed as external). It showed as /dev/disk2
  • Next I typed dd if=/dev/DISK of=image.dd (not sure if I should have typed dd if=/dev/DISK of=image.dd bs=512 instead. I see some people add the bs=512 or similar. Need to look into that.)
  • status=progress didn't work on OSX, but you can hit Ctrl-t and it as much as you want and it will display progress at that point in time.
QNX Neutrino VM
I took a look at the QNX site. I did see the QNX Neutrino RTOS Evaluation Run-time for VMware. I don't have a recent version of VMWare. Mine is about 5 years out of date. Wonder if I can get it to work on Virtual Box? I may not need this if I'm not doing any enlarging of partitions.

Thank you again for your fine responses! Very much appreciated. I'll post my progress on the Hard Drive clone for those who might benefit from my experiences...

Cheers.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,642 Posts
I've been trying to find the right SSD hardware to purchase.
I don't know if there are any special requirements, but if not, I've upgraded many friends and family computers and always used Samsung SSD's and never had an issue. Probably have done a dozen or more.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
When do you need FSC Activation codes?
Your sentence about needing certificates to install on the CIC so you can provide your own FSC codes got me thinking. I didn't know about this process. I need to read up on FSC codes. A quick Google search and I do see posts like How to generate BMW NBT & CIC FSC code. I am not doing a CCC to CIC conversion or adding new features, will I need FSC Codes? If my hard drive clone works, I won't need any but if I have to put in a new CIC unit, will I need codes for my VIN? If so, I'll start reading about it now.
When you want to enable features from BMW you can purchase an FSC code (for example, to enable navigation or voice control) and they give you a code which you can enter on your device. They make a code that is specific for your vehicle. So if you replace your CIC unit with a used one or if you retrofit CIC (as I did), you need to either purchase the FSC from BMW to enable navigation and voice control (very expensive), or get an emulator (a little box that plugs into the back of the CIC and prevents it from verifying the VIN on your vehicle so that it doesn't know it's not in the donor vehicle), or you can install this script via a USB stick that allows you to connect with some software and allow your own certificates and FSC codes to be generated. If you don't go through the whole process, the FSC codes you generate will not work. If you don't replace your CIC unit you shouldn't have to do any of this. I don't know if these certificates are stored on the hard drive or in ROM in the CIC itself, so I can't comment on what happens with a different drive, though I imagine if you clone the HDD it will act as it did before.

Cloning my old CIC drive to an SSD
I'm doing what you mentioned using OSX right now. It seems to be working, which I take as a good sign! I ended up using my mac as well because it was so simple. I've been trying to find the right SSD hardware to purchase. Many of those mentioned in forums is extinct. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I did the following:
  • Pulled apart an old external IDE USB drive I had lying around and swapped the hard drive for the 80 Gig TOSHIBA drive that I pulled out of my CIC.
  • Plugged that into my Mac.
  • Launched a terminal and typed $ diskutil list to find the drive (it was the only one listed as external). It showed as /dev/disk2
  • Next I typed dd if=/dev/DISK of=image.dd (not sure if I should have typed dd if=/dev/DISK of=image.dd bs=512 instead. I see some people add the bs=512 or similar. Need to look into that.)
  • status=progress didn't work on OSX, but you can hit Ctrl-t and it as much as you want and it will display progress at that point in time.
If you do the "bs=512" at the end it copies really really slowly, people had said to do that but I think I either omitted it or set it to 4096 or something instead and it went drastically faster.

I took a look at the QNX site. I did see the QNX Neutrino RTOS Evaluation Run-time for VMware. I don't have a recent version of VMWare. Mine is about 5 years out of date. Wonder if I can get it to work on Virtual Box? I may not need this if I'm not doing any enlarging of partitions.
I used VirtualBox to do this as I don't have VMWare. Only needed if you try to increase the storage capacity of the drive. As I said, I did it because I could. I have an MMI unit installed so use Wireless Apple CarPlay all the time while I'm driving so don't use music from the SDD or the navigation for that matter.

Regarding the SSD, I bought the IDE -> mSATA adapter that is listed on the link you provided earlier (it's got the red circuit board) and I bought it off eBay. Took a while to come as I could only find it from a seller in Japan. I just bought the cheapest mSATA drive I could get on Amazon which was by Dogfish or some weird name like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if there are any special requirements, but if not, I've upgraded many friends and family computers and always used Samsung SSD's and never had an issue. Probably have done a dozen or more.
Thanks for the reply. Just to narrow it down. So you would be referring to SSD SATA drives, right? Like an 870 EVO SSD, 2.5-inch SATA form factor? And then you must have a 2.5" SATA to IDE adapter of some kind. If you have any particular brand recommendations I'd be grateful. I did read in some threads about adapters that did not work for CICs.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I followed this post that you linked to earlier and got the identical IDE to mSATA adapter, here's one on eBay. mSATA drives are not the same as regular SSD SATA drives, they are a smaller form factor. This is the drive that I bought, but I imagine any, if not all, mSATA drives would work.

I assume you have a USB to IDE adapter already that will let you connect the drive to your computer to clone it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The certificates will verify the hardware serial numbers, you can't just clone the hard drive. You can issue your own certs if you have the right software and intel patcher (search intel patcher cic). You will need a ICOM since the patcher requires latest version of cic software and updating it via normal coding cable is not feasible. Via icom it takes almost 2 hours to upgrade cic, so you will also need a power supply to keep the voltage steady, do not skip this step. My friend tried with just battery charger and he bricked his CIC.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The certificates will verify the hardware serial numbers, you can't just clone the hard drive. You can issue your own certs if you have the right software and intel patcher (search intel patcher cic). You will need a ICOM since the patcher requires latest version of cic software and updating it via normal coding cable is not feasible. Via icom it takes almost 2 hours to upgrade cic, so you will also need a power supply to keep the voltage steady, do not skip this step. My friend tried with just battery charger and he bricked his CIC.
This is all true, provided the CIC is not at the C1A version already. I was fortunate enough that the retrofit unit I got was at that version so didn't need an ICOM or to upgrade it. If the OP's is already at this version (can be found through NCS Expert) then he can use the patcher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you want to enable features from BMW you can purchase an FSC code (for example, to enable navigation or voice control) and they give you a code which you can enter on your device. They make a code that is specific for your vehicle. So if you replace your CIC unit with a used one or if you retrofit CIC (as I did), you need to either purchase the FSC from BMW to enable navigation and voice control (very expensive), or get an emulator (a little box that plugs into the back of the CIC and prevents it from verifying the VIN on your vehicle so that it doesn't know it's not in the donor vehicle), or you can install this script via a USB stick that allows you to connect with some software and allow your own certificates and FSC codes to be generated. If you don't go through the whole process, the FSC codes you generate will not work. If you don't replace your CIC unit you shouldn't have to do any of this. I don't know if these certificates are stored on the hard drive or in ROM in the CIC itself, so I can't comment on what happens with a different drive, though I imagine if you clone the HDD it will act as it did before.

If you do the "bs=512" at the end it copies really really slowly, people had said to do that but I think I either omitted it or set it to 4096 or something instead and it went drastically faster.

I used VirtualBox to do this as I don't have VMWare. Only needed if you try to increase the storage capacity of the drive. As I said, I did it because I could. I have an MMI unit installed so use Wireless Apple CarPlay all the time while I'm driving so don't use music from the SDD or the navigation for that matter.

Regarding the SSD, I bought the IDE -> mSATA adapter that is listed on the link you provided earlier (it's got the red circuit board) and I bought it off eBay. Took a while to come as I could only find it from a seller in Japan. I just bought the cheapest mSATA drive I could get on Amazon which was by Dogfish or some weird name like that.
FSC Codes - Buy from BMW, Emulator, USB Scripts
This is key info. Thank you! I did not know you need codes specific to your VIN to enable each feature. I will investigate the script via USB stick. If I replace my CIC I imagine I would need a script for each feature I enable. Seems like a pain. The emulator route, I wonder if that just blocks all VIN verification allowing you to enable any features you want?

Update on my CIC: HDD Clone worked fine, so I plugged CIC in w/o HDD...
My clone of the old CIC HDD via OSX using the dd command worked fine (I did it 2 times to be sure). Now at least I have that backed up. My issue seems to be the CIC unit itself.

So I may need FSC Codes. I took your advice and plugged my CIC unit back into the dash w/o the hard drive to see what happens. Like before it still cycle-reboots to the BMW logo and still makes the ominous clicking/CD eject noise. The hard drive presence has no effect.

Next: Replace CIC, swap in old HDD
I will replace my CIC unit and put the old drive back (or a new SSD of the same). We'll see if I have to generate FSC Codes or not.

QNX Neutrino RTOS on VirtualBox
Glad to hear it worked on VirtualBox. I think you can run a VMWare image on Virtualbox. QNX Neutrino RTOS Evaluation Run-time for VMware should work then for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is all true, provided the CIC is not at the C1A version already. I was fortunate enough that the retrofit unit I got was at that version so didn't need an ICOM or to upgrade it. If the OP's is already at this version (can be found through NCS Expert) then he can use the patcher.
More key info. Thank you both! So my two takeaways from you guys is:

Is my CIC at firmware C1A (I assume that refers to firmware)?
Good to know I can read this with NCS Expert. Of course, my CIC unit is dead so I'll first have to get a replacement and then find out what version it is at.

Replacement CIC still needs new certs, intel-patcher cic
With the replacement CIC, first I'll swap in the old, cloned HDD. Next, from what you're saying, I'll still need new certs. I'll check into intel-patcher cic for that. But it looks like I will need to do the certs before attempting to upgrade the CIC version.

If not at C1A, need ICOM + power supply
If the replacement is not at (or above, I assume) C1A (ebay purchased units may not be), then I can't use the patcher to get to the latest firmware. I'll need a ICOM plus a steady power supply, due to how long it takes.

What to use for a steady power supply?
Can you leave the car running to keep the power supply steady? If not, what power supply would you recommend??

Replace CIC at or above C1A to make life easier?
I could try to buy a CIC replacement that is already at C1A. I may just try to do that now that you guys have generously provided this intel. I wonder if the bilaterally exchangeable CIC replacement units for mine (listed in my first post above) would already be at or above C1A?

Lots to consider. Thanks very much.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
There's a lot of steps here that you listed, and they're mostly correct, but some of them are far from trivial. Maybe ask yourself how many hours and how much $$$ it's worth to you. I haven't searched much, but see if there are outfits that can repair CIC units, I've seen places that advertise CCC repair, perhaps there are things they can do with your unit as well.

If you go the route of an emulator
You will only be able to utilize the features and map version that came with the CIC you got. Basically when the CIC boots up it asks the car over the CAN BUS what the VIN is. The emulator sees that message and blocks it, so the CIC functions normally and just hopes it's in the correct vehicle. One hopes the emulators are built well and do not suck power too much when the car is off, but I've heard lots of people use them and can get them for roughly $100 or something.

The script to create your own self-signed certificates
This was a really complex procedure for me and I could never find anyone who clearly articulated the process, and I had to find the correct software. Basically you put the script on a USB drive, put it in the glove box USB port, start up the CIC unit and after a while it will restart. Once it does that take out the USB drive and it has some data on it as well as it allows you to connect to it with some software. Then with software you generate your own security certificates and get them to install on the machine. I believe there were 3 certificates I had to install (for 3 features, navigation, voice control, and I seem to forget the latter) and 4 operations that had to happen for each one. It was a total crapshoot. Each time I'd hit run anywhere from 0-3 of the jobs would work but only after I tried probably 50-75 times would all 4 run successfully. Then I didn't need any FSC, the unit works as-is. I found a newer map online somewhere (mine had 2010 maps) and to install that I had to use one of the generators that creates an FSC for you and then the maps started working. I did something wrong and couldn't get the voice guidance working on mine but couldn't care less.

Upgrading firmware
Unfortunately you can't tell firmware by the part number. So good luck shopping around... If you get a north american CIC unit it will have HD radio built in but european models will not. Mine came with it, cool, but I wouldn't have known how to look for it. I've never used WinKFP or ISTA/P to update modules but I know it's been done plenty of times and there are Youtube videos about it. For power supplies, you can get some on Amazon and such but they are really expensive. I found a guy on here who makes them himself using power supplies out of old computer server racks that have high quality/high output supply and I paid him roughly $100 for it, works great for me. You want something that provides a constant output of 40 amps or more at 12 volts, the chargers don't give a constant supply. If you use NCS Expert and read from your CIC module it will show you which version you have, I can always help you with that part easily, and the coding/VO modifications.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts