BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Infinity and beyond
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove home from work today and experienced a loss of power. I was on the interstate doing 70mph and I slowly loss power down to 40mph twice during my 30 mile drive. The Check Engine Soon light came on the other day, but today a light next to the D on the transmission readout did. It was a circle with an "I" in the middle.

I had planned to take the car in late next week, but now I am taking it to my independent shop Monday morning. I had the automatic transmission fluid and filter changed about 1000 miles ago. I am wondering if it's related or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Infinity and beyond
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read about the limp mode last night on several BMW sites. I learned something new that's for sure. I started my car today and took it for a test drive. Transmission ight stayed off and it ran fine. Service Engine Soon light is still on so I will not drive it very little until I take it in on Monday to get codes read. Ironic that I ordered the Peake code reader just before this all happened. Unfortunatley that order is going slow for some reason and won't be getting it soon enough. Well at least I will be ready in the future for whatever happens.

I will give you all an update on Monday evening what the verdict was. This is a great site just like other BMW sites I use. Thanks again for the input. :)

·
Infinity and beyond
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a Monday morning. I was only half mile from home on the way to service shop and my car died. Had to be towed, but luckily I have the BMW CCA Premier Membership.

My independent euro mechanic did a scan before my eyes and after a few checks it was determined I had a shot fuel pump. New fuel pump picked up and then installed. Total out of pocket just under $400.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
The fuel pump (and lots of other culprits) are explained in these the VERY best of E39 Links below which should apply equally well to the E46 for misfire problems and code readers and code descriptions ...

- How to identify all BMW computer-specific OBDII DTC diagnostic fault codes (1) & how to better understand the key EPA federal test procedure (FTP) concept of the BMW SES "drive cycle" (1) & how to diagnose a typical BMW E39 engine misfire (1) or a sporadic-temperature-change cold-engine intermittent misfire (1) obtaining the pending or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) using free or freeware scans (1) [except in California or Hawaii (1) (2)] or the cheapest ODII scanner in the world (1) (2) or a better overall scanner (1) or the best diagnostic tools (1) (2) (3)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.