BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The onboard computer is complaining that the battery charge is running low. It's an 08 X5 3.0i. While I'm not particularly thrilled, for a relatively small city where I live w/ plenty of stop & go traffic and little high way driving, it really drians the battery FAST!

So I called up the dealer and was slightly confused about the BMW factory batteries options:

White colour one w/ 90ah and 720A
Black colour AGM one w/ 70ah and 760A
Black colour AGM one w/ 90ah and 900A

The 1st two are similarly priced while the last one is abt. 25% more so I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go for a better one or this would be pretty much the same?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Skip the "BMW" battery

For example: http://www.autobarn.net/eas9agm49.html

Shop around and you can find a bettery battery for 1/2 to 1/3 the price a dealer will charge to purchase and install

A

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before you buy a new battery, buy a trickle charger and use it overnight to bring the voltage up to spec (12.6 Vdc). As large as the BMW battery is, a lot of short trips around town will not keep it fully charged and it will eventually let you down (buy a good set of jumper cables also). As annoying as having to do this is, I've learned to live with it on my
'07 X5 3.0.
Before you buy any replacement battery, search this and other forums (google E70 battery replacement) about the issues associated with installing a new battery in your E70. As far as I can determine, it is no longer a "plug and play" job.
BTW, the BMW charger Lists for about $70.00, but ask for the "car club discount" (I belong to BMWCCA, but I've never been asked for proof of membership) and you should get it from them for about $60.00. But wait, there's more. The charger is DelTran Model 021-0128 made by DelTran corp of Deland, FL, and widely available on the internet for under $50.00. Be sure whatever you buy has alligator clips vice a cigarette lighter plug for its connector (the cigarette lighter is only active if the engine is running).

Happy motoring!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Before you buy any replacement battery, search this and other forums (google E70 battery replacement) about the issues associated with installing a new battery in your E70. As far as I can determine, it is no longer a "plug and play" job.

!
Just replace the battery and bring it to the dealer for 'programming' if you think you need it. I'd always opt for a larger capacity, and would probably skip the 'coding'.

Still, the dealer will absolutely screw you on the replacement...might as well try and limit the screwing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get a Booster Pack!

Buy a booster pack that you can store in the storage area in the rear. Jumper cables are NOT recommended by BMW and I was told it will void you warranty (not confirmed). The booster pack will usually start your vehicle and it does not require a jump vehicle. I have a Peak Performance Portable Power Plus 350 AMP that fits nicely in the back storage area with the 3rd row seating.

·
Registered
412 Posts
is it possible to change the battery while the jumper cables are providing power under the hood?
Yes it is possible. You have to be very careful to insulate the positive battery cable end when they are removed from the battery avoiding any contact with metal in the area. I would put the positive cable end in a latex glove and secure it on very well while doing it.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
is it possible to change the battery while the jumper cables are providing power under the hood?
Possible, but not recommended. Considering the high amperage available from another battery, I myself wouldn't risk it. Probably wouldn't be a problem, but I'm perhaps an overly cautious sort.

If you have the mid-range CTEK charger (the 7 amp one), it has a "Supply" function which would probably be much safer if you really want to avoid a power interruption that might require some things to be reset.

A typical "smart charger" will not work, as they will not put-out voltage/current if there is no voltage/battery in the circuit.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I replaced the battery in my Volvo XC90 with a booster pack connected to the connections under the hood, then remove the negative and isolate safely (I used an old winter insulated glove to stuff the terminal into) then the positive. R & R battery, install positive then negative terminal. Remove the booster pack from under hood. If you have someone to help you for a short time they can help you with the cables so they are not bumped as you R & R the battery. It is fairly simple. That is how the Ford dealer changed the battery in the Lincoln Navigator without loosing all the settings.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Buy a booster pack that you can store in the storage area in the rear. Jumper cables are NOT recommended by BMW and I was told it will void you warranty (not confirmed). The booster pack will usually start your vehicle and it does not require a jump vehicle. I have a Peak Performance Portable Power Plus 350 AMP that fits nicely in the back storage area with the 3rd row seating.
When I looked at the Owners manual it had specific instructions for using jumper cables.

A booster pack seems to be the last thing that I'd need at my house. (I have 5 vehicles, so there is always a fully charged power source.) A booster pack seems like something else to maintain and charge.... a jumper cable can sit for 10 years and be fully functional when needed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just replace the battery and bring it to the dealer for 'programming' if you think you need it. I'd always opt for a larger capacity, and would probably skip the 'coding'.

Still, the dealer will absolutely screw you on the replacement...might as well try and limit the screwing.
After several "reduced power" issues, my dealer replaced the original battery with a new, stronger one, at their suggestion and expense. It was refreshing to see them acknowledge that the X5 was ill equipped from the factory and be proactive. :thumbup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
After several "reduced power" issues, my dealer replaced the original battery with a new, stronger one, at their suggestion and expense. It was refreshing to see them acknowledge that the X5 was ill equipped from the factory and be proactive. :thumbup:
To be honest, yours is a 2010 that was under a year old, right?

OP is at 3 years old.....

And of course it will depend on the dealership and your relationships

·
Registered
512 Posts
To be honest, yours is a 2010 that was under a year old, right?

OP is at 3 years old.....

And of course it will depend on the dealership and your relationships
I recognize that A. ;)

But I was merely pointing out that my dealership recognized that the battery was insufficient all on their own and upgraded it. I find it interesting that it seems to be such a common issue that it hasn't been addressed across the brand.

It's surprising that there has never been a TSB considering the difference in cost on an upgraded battery would be negligible in the big scheme of things. :dunno:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I recognize that A. ;)

But I was merely pointing out that my dealership recognized that the battery was insufficient all on their own and upgraded it. I find it interesting that it seems to be such a common issue that it hasn't been addressed across the brand.

It's surprising that there has never been a TSB considering the difference in cost on an upgraded battery would be negligible in the big scheme of things. :dunno:
Agreed. And I know your situtaion was different. :) I thought the OP needed the context for his outcome.

Your input I think points out the sometimes capricious interpretation of 'guidances' that dealers receive- and the messages they deliver to end users.

Having to replace batteries in every X5 with larger capacity ones- or even the written confirmation that maybe their initial choice was a bad one - would have major $$$ implications for BMW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.