Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic registration:

Im seriously considering registering the 540 as a classic...

Im at least serious enough to start researching Information about it..

Submit to an enhanced vehicle safety inspection.
Complete an Application for Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, Collectible, Modified, Flood, Recovered Theft Vehicles and Street Rods.
Provide proof of ownership.
Complete an Application for Certificate of Title, if needed.
Provide proof of car insurance.
Provide a description of the configuration of the vehicle.

So i gotta go talk to my boy who has a shop and see if he knows anything about how the state does a enhanced safety inspection: If he can pencil whip a forum for me with his inspection Id number OR IF i actually have to find someone who has some sort of specially certified state shop..

WHen my inspection license was current *just a few years back I dont remember anything about special inspections for classic or Antique And i never did any inspections for someone who was getting classic plates.. At least that i was aware of...

SO :dunno:

e39 with classic plate or just a few years from now "Antique" plates...

that sounds sexy to me

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
i believe this is what the 2 current plates would look like

·
Registered
87 Posts
In Arkansas we have an "antique" tag for cars 25 years old or older, which will keep you from having to register every year, as soon as my 540i is 25 that tag will be on my car. There isn't a downside here in Arkansas.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,825 Posts
I don't remember all the specifics but here in Michigan they put restrictions on annual mileage when you get a special plate.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's true here too, I don't remember the mileage but when I asked about it for my son's car it was not prohibitive, something like 12k. I do remember it was more than I normally drive in a year and no one ever checks it to make sure you aren't going over. It's not really regulated here. I've had that tag on a few Motorcycles and 4 or 5 cars without ever having a problem.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
In VA it is 25 years and you have to pass an initial inspection then you never have to do it again (inspection or registration fees). But if you drive regularly with it (and the law specifically say to and from work) it is a misdemeanor and you loose antique/classic registration rights for 5 years. Then the state and insurance company can come after you for tax evasion (antiques don’t have taxes in some areas) and insurance fraud (you can qualify for the antique insurance rates). It is actually something some areas of VA have an issue with and the cops look out for it.
Or you can get the plates ($5) and do the traditional inspections every year with the associated stickers.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts