BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· totally
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've done some major research on clays and polishes by reading what seemed like thousands of posts on ideas and techniques. hehe

I'm not too OCD about the car, at least until I know it's not going to be raining very often later in the summer, so I'm going with a quicker detail with just clay, AIO, and 1 coat SG. Is this going to be enough to keep it looking good, though not pristine?

Also, I plant to give my car a quick wash (I just thoroughly washed it last week) to get the residue off, then clay it all. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to spend on cleaning it, so I won't be able to get to Klasse or anything else until next week or so. Is leaving the car without polishing or waxing it for at least a week going to hurt anything? I know I will have to wash my car again before I use Klasse AIO (which I will probably do by hand, so I might not be able to get to SG until the next week if at all) but does the clay remove anything like polish or wax that is protecting the paint?

· Registered
263 Posts
Wash + Clay will remove embedded junk you can feel in the paint. If you have swirls, AIO or SG will NOT remove them, only hightlight them. However if you do not care about scratches and swirls, then you shoud have a nice glossy paint for a while with AIO + SG. Time between steps is no problem as long as you remove dust and dirt or wash between steps. I use Klasse AIO+SG with good success.

Steve

528i said:
So I've done some major research on clays and polishes by reading what seemed like thousands of posts on ideas and techniques. hehe

I'm not too OCD about the car, at least until I know it's not going to be raining very often later in the summer, so I'm going with a quicker detail with just clay, AIO, and 1 coat SG. Is this going to be enough to keep it looking good, though not pristine?

Also, I plant to give my car a quick wash (I just thoroughly washed it last week) to get the residue off, then clay it all. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to spend on cleaning it, so I won't be able to get to Klasse or anything else until next week or so. Is leaving the car without polishing or waxing it for at least a week going to hurt anything? I know I will have to wash my car again before I use Klasse AIO (which I will probably do by hand, so I might not be able to get to SG until the next week if at all) but does the clay remove anything like polish or wax that is protecting the paint?

· Registered
33 Posts
well what if, i dont have this, but your whole car had swirl marks and minor scratches.. would it be safe to do the whole car in a rubbin compound..? on my car since it is only two weeks old the paint looks fine but i can see where the detailer at the dealership left very vaque swirlmarks.. would i do the whole car or would klasse aio followed after clay get these out.. thanks

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Questions related to Klasse AIO, SG and Sonus Acrylic QD spray...

In early Feb. I did AIO and 2 coats of SG over a weekend. Since then I've done a few washes and followed with the Sonus QD. I would like to add another coat of SG. Its been two months. My plan is to do a thorough wash, then a light Sonus QD spray (to remove water spots, etc.) and then apply the 3rd coat of SG. Does this sound like a good plan? Any concerns about doing a light QD before applying the SG? The car is very clean after a wash but does have some water spots that I don't want to "seal" in there!

Much thanks.

· Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
MPossible said:
well what if, i dont have this, but your whole car had swirl marks and minor scratches.. would it be safe to do the whole car in a rubbin compound..? on my car since it is only two weeks old the paint looks fine but i can see where the detailer at the dealership left very vaque swirlmarks.. would i do the whole car or would klasse aio followed after clay get these out.. thanks
Neither the Klasse nor the Clay will remove the swirls. The clay does nothing more than remove all the dirt and other crud imbedded in the clear coat that doesn't come out with a normal wash. The AIO *may* fill in the swirls and make them a little less noticable, but they will come back as the AIO wears off.

To get the swirls out, you need to hit them with a mild polish. There are many products mentioned earlier in this thread. A rubbing compound will be far too harsh if all you are dealing with is swirls marks.

· Registered
263 Posts
jetstream23 said:
Questions related to Klasse AIO, SG and Sonus Acrylic QD spray...

In early Feb. I did AIO and 2 coats of SG over a weekend. Since then I've done a few washes and followed with the Sonus QD. I would like to add another coat of SG. Its been two months. My plan is to do a thorough wash, then a light Sonus QD spray (to remove water spots, etc.) and then apply the 3rd coat of SG. Does this sound like a good plan? Any concerns about doing a light QD before applying the SG? The car is very clean after a wash but does have some water spots that I don't want to "seal" in there!

Much thanks.
You'll be all set, you could even do some light spot claying. Sounds like you are taking the correct steps, to do as much prep as you can without removing the SG, However SG bonds well to itself and AIO, Depending on how much SG is left, you may better off doing it all over with AIO. I guess I really depends on how much wear and tear the car got during those 2 months.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.