BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and new to BMW. I just ordered my first BMW, a 650xi coupe, that is due for delivery by the end of the year. This community was extremely helpful throughout the research and ordering process, so thank you all for your assistance.

My car:
650i xDrive Coupe
Black Nappa with Gray Poplar
Carbon Black Metallic
M-Sport Package
Cold Weather
LED Lights with 20" wheels
Premium Sound
Active Roll Stabilization
Head-up Display
Leather Dash with Contrast Stitching
Black Ceramic Controls
BMW Apps

I am wondering what everyone is using to clean the contrast stiching. I thought about just keeping it clean with a damp microfiber cloth, but I'm sure the nappa is going to need regular conditioning being in direct sunlight, a big problem here in the south. I ordered the windshield sun screen for another level of protection. I just want to make sure that the gray stitching doesn't get smudged and dirty. I've read that Porsche uses nylon stitching and it's not a problem, but I have no idea what BMW uses.

Any recommendations for maintenance and brands for cleaning/conditioning?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll try a discrete location in the back seat to make sure the stitching tolerates it. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I guess I'll try a discrete location in the back seat to make sure the stitching tolerates it. Thanks for the recommendation!
It will. I've kept 3 different cars looking perfect with PC. The Rejuvinating Oil is fantastic every 6 months or so. It's a much longer process, but gets really deep cleaning results.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Leatherique PC will not discolor stitching for sure. Neither will Lexol which is more readily available, OTC. Leather will last an eternity as long as you clean and condition it regularly. I also live in a hot climate so I got some quality tint as additional protection from the sun. The only other suggestion I have is to place your left hand against your body and the left side bolster when exiting the car. This spot is notorious for abrasion in cars that have aggressive side bolsters.

E90 M3:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The only other suggestion I have is to place your left hand against your body and the left side bolster when exiting the car. This spot is notorious for abrasion in cars that have aggressive side bolsters.

E90 M3:
+1 - I do this every time I enter the car. No amount of conditioning will preserve a spot that you constantly rub daily.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My dealer charges $995.00 to coat the interior and exterior with something. After they spray it on, they guarantee that for 7 years, if anything shows a stain or wear, they will replace it if they can't get it off. They also supply me with cleaner for the interior and exterior of the car, as much as I need, for 7 years. The paint is absolutely gorgeous after they apply the chemical.

Two BMWs ago, I had beige interior, and the only place that I saw a stain was on the driver's seat bolster from blue jeans rubbing against it. Because I have beige interior again, I wanted to make sure that if that happens on this car, they will take care of it.

My '09 650 had black interior, and that same spot showed a fair amount of wear when I traded the car in. It had black interior, and it had only 21,000 miles on it, but the side of the driver's seat showed age way beyond 3 years in my opinion. My F12 doesn't have those huge bolsters as the others did, so I'm hoping that will help with this problem.

It sounds like we are both OCD with clean. LOL

·
Registered
749 Posts
HAHA. Just read the thread above. Yep. That was what I was talking about. LOL

·
Registered
749 Posts
LOL. Maybe so. With white interior, it's insurance for me.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't wait for it to come in. It was scheduled for week 49 production, but My BMW shows it still as processing... Anyone know how long it takes once they start production?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Once you have a production number the dealer can tell you the day that it goes into production. Then:

Production takes 14 days
Shipping to South Carolina takes 10-14 days
Shipping from South Carolina to Mobile takes 5-7 days

My car started production on October 24th. It arrived in South Carolina on November 16th. It arrived in Houston at the dealer on November 26th.

That MyBMW tracking thing is not accurate at all. It is usually at least one week behind. My car was at the dealer when it still showed at the dock.

Congr

·
Registered
749 Posts
The MyBMW tracker is not accurate. It usually takes 14 days in production, 14 days to ship to South Carolina, and 7-10 days to get to your dealer.

Your dealer should be able to give you a production start date. Once you have that, you can estimate.

My car went into production on October 24, 2012. It arrived in South Carolina on November 16, 2012. It was delivered to Houston/to me on November 26, 2012.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info and timeline. It's good to hear it's inaccurate (although I probably should not hope for too much inaccuracy by the people building my $100,000 car lol). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm planning on doing some detailing this weekend, and I just wanhted to reopen this thread and ask a few questions:

As above, there have been several recommendations for Leatherique's Pristine Clean. Has anyone used this with the nappa dash with contrast stitching? I saw a car at the dealer that had something on the leather that made it shiny (see pictures below). I'd like to preserve the original matte finish and look of the contrast stitching if at all possible. Any feedback to keep the matte look would be appreciated.

Also, what are y'all using for cleaning, waxing, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I'm planning on doing some detailing this weekend, and I just wanhted to reopen this thread and ask a few questions:

As above, there have been several recommendations for Leatherique's Pristine Clean. Has anyone used this with the nappa dash with contrast stitching? I saw a car at the dealer that had something on the leather that made it shiny (see pictures below). I'd like to preserve the original matte finish and look of the contrast stitching if at all possible. Any feedback to keep the matte look would be appreciated.

Also, what are y'all using for cleaning, waxing, etc.?

Thanks!
I had leather dash in my last car. Prestine Clean is a fantastic product - been using it on the last 3 Bimmers and will be on this one soon. 303 Aerospace protectant (get it at a local boating place if you have one or online) will do the day-to-day protection from UV the dash needs AND it will retain the original finish of the dash.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks!

These are the pics I meant to post above. Not a huge difference, but still noticeable:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.