Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new (to me) 98 328i and the wheels have the stock wheels (not sure what you call them - please see pic) and the wheels are "spotted" with whitish spots. I am not sure how to get the spots off. I am particular about the things I use on my cars, but I also have a family to feed! ;)

Please suggest the best thing (homemade or bought) to get them back to their normal state of being that matte/shiny finish, instead of dull and spotted.

Thanks!

Sproles

Here are the wheels in question====>

·
Registered
53 Posts
I only use P21S for wheel cleaning.This will be a good first step.
Once they are clean look at the spots real close. It may be chips in the clear coat.The big problem comes along if the aluminum "under" the clear coat has started to oxidize.

If thats the case, the only repair is to have the clear removed, the aluminum polished, then re clear coated.

A close up picture would help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Love the P21S. Spray on...wait a few minutes....brush a bit and hose off.

Then I'd wax the wheels....has anyone tried wheel wax? I'm currently just using some old pinnacle paste glaze.

·
Registered
57 Posts
P21S is a good wheel cleaner. I think the "regular" works better than the "gel", personally.

That'll just clean them wheels though. I use Klasse AIO once they are clean- it VERY lightly polishes them, and seals them so as to make subsequent cleanings easier. However, if you use Klasse AIO, don't clean with P21S, as the P21S will remove the Klasse. But if you do use Klasse AIO, a light wipe down with a towel (microfibre preferrably) will remove your break dust.

·
gashlycrumb
2,550 Posts
Nice car! Had one just like it only black on black.

I've used P21S and more recently Sonus (both ordered online). The Sonus works pretty well but P21 works much better IMHO.

For tar, I think P21 makes some kind of universal paint cleaner that may be strong enough, if the wheel cleaner doesn't do it. Could also try a clay bar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For tar there are a few ways to clean.
First approach would be the P21S wheel cleaner. This will get everything of the wheels so you are only removing the tar and not trying to go through the road grime.
The next step would be a tar remover.
If there is still remnants of tar specks, detailing clay will remove those.

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the whole ZAINO thing this weekend - HOLY COW !!!! That stuff is amazing. more on that in a nother post --

I will take some pics of the wheels in question. They are not "pitted", but they almost look like they have parts that have been stained a lighter color silver. They don't appear to have the finish removed, but they do look like something has happened to the finish.

Hopefully pics will help.

Sproles

·
Registered
958 Posts
It could be that someone (dealer prep?) has used an acidic wheel cleaner and left it o the surface for too long. Very difficult t diagnose a problem without a photograph ( this is only a SWAG- scientific wild a** guess

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I read enough and felt that it was probably problem of the wrong kind of cleaner being used and they were "stains" that MOTHERS could handle.

Spent the $3 on a can of Mother's polish and an hour later - my wheel look INCREDIBLE! Still not exactly sure WHAT the stains were, but they are now NO more...

Thanks for the advice guys - as always - you have steared me in the right direction.
Sproles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts