BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
i hope i do not annoy anyone im a newbie... i have been searching for a while trying to find an answer to my question but couldnt find one

i am having a very hard time removing little black spots that look like tar around
my car...

i am driving an alpine white 2008 328xi coupe
and i got it about 4 months ago during the winter
i live in montreal (winters are rough) wondering if it could have sometin 2 do with
the salt allover the roads in the winter

anyway if anyone has an easy way of removing all these black spots please get back to me
thank you

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If they are in fact road tar, my recommendation is to try a small amount of mineral spirits or turpentine on a soft cloth. That should disolve tar, paint, asphalt sealer, tree sap, etc. Afterwards, be sure to wash the surface with soap and water, or a good all-in-one cleaner/polish, followed by your favorite sealant or wax.

Turpentine:

Turpentine is an effective solvent for oil and alkyd based paints and varnishes, and removing tar, grease and tree sap. Genuine turpentine has a strong odor and is becoming less commonly used in the painting and art industries. Many substitute products have arrived on the market that performs essentially the same function, with less noxious vapors. Some of the substitutes include mineral spirits and turpenoid.

Mineral spirits (White spirits):

Mineral spirits is a petroleum-based product. Mineral spirits is an oil based solvent ideally used for thinning oil based exterior and interior varnishes, such as oil varnish , and paint products, as well as an efficient solvent for artist's oil paints.​

·
Registered
412 Posts
WD-40 works real good too! But remember to wash your car real good afterwards!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Bug and tar remover is a good solution for most problems. I still find a little mineral spirits will make the job go quicker on the more difficult "problem" areas. I always have some mineral spirits around the house since it has so many uses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinking turpentine also but i was afraid stuff like that would
remove the paint or fade it ...
anyway thank you all so much for the replies i will try your solutions

thank you again :):):)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'd try the bug/tar remover first. That works for me, and the stuff is made for cars so obviously nothing to be too worried about. If not, mineral spirits (since I already have some) would be my next try.

edit: I have used bug and tar remover in the past for road tar and brake dust on my wheels, and it worked fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts