BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a technique to clean the washer jets? My spray pattern is a bit rubbish on the middle one so want to give them a good clean.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't done my BMW yet, but on other cars a straightened staple was just the right size for poking in the holes and cleaning them out.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
There are tools for this too. They'll also allow you to adjust position. Or use a staple or a thin sewing needle.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
There are tools for this too. I have one made by Klann (below) They'll also allow you to adjust position. Or use a staple or a thin sewing needle.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,361 Posts
Be careful! I believe that spray nozzles are fluidic oscillators precision molded of relatively soft plastic.

Unless one has carelessly introduced foreign trash, the likely substance disturbing the flow pattern is organic slime. If one still has good flow through the nozzles then I would flush and drain the reservoir (separately if possible) and then put in a liter of cheap alcohol - isopropanol, methanol or ethanol - to denature the organics and spray spray spray.

When I learned of BMW's tendency to foul the reservoir, pumps and nozzles, I quit using patent solutions and use distilled water and vodka. As winter approaches I'll refill only with vodka.

·
Registered
88 Posts
be aware that the washer jets on the F10 (at least, on my F10 535i 2010) are NOT adjusted by using a needle or something like that. They are fixed to a larger piece of plastic, and on the back lower side there is a screw that you can rotate to aim the jets to the windshield. Don't use too much presure moving the screw, because you can broke it (it's plastic!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts