BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OCD Slacker
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a car that he bought about 6 months ago. It's black. He parks it in the sun all day and doesn't keep up on the waxing. We clean our cars once a week with Meguire's and Mother's stuff.

What can be done to make the top look better. It's getting worse every week. It looked a bit dull at first, now it looks faded and whiteish. He plans on only having the car for 6 more months. I'd like to do a bit of experimenting on the finish and see if I can put a smile on his face by what can be achieved. What can be acheived? We have no orbital, but can buy a cheap one if necessary.

For what it's worth, the car is a 94 coupe with one ding in it.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
A buddy of mine has a car that he bought about 6 months ago. It's black. He parks it in the sun all day and doesn't keep up on the waxing. We clean our cars once a week with Meguire's and Mother's stuff.

What can be done to make the top look better. It's getting worse every week. It looked a bit dull at first, now it looks faded and whiteish. He plans on only having the car for 6 more months. I'd like to do a bit of experimenting on the finish and see if I can put a smile on his face by what can be achieved. What can be acheived? We have no orbital, but can buy a cheap one if necessary.

For what it's worth, the car is a 94 coupe with one ding in it.
The fact that its whitish the given year and the lack of maintenance sounds like the clear coat may be failing...Go get a paint cleaner Mothers and Megs has them....try that in a small area about 2x2 foot to start....use a cotton applicator so that you get a good grab on the surface....you should start to see the color of the car come up a bit on the applicator...that's the good thing...you can work the whole car with this...then I would use a straight polish again Mothers and Megs has them this will start to bring back the finish...however if the clear is failing then there is little you can do, but repaint...top that off with some paste wax and stay on it on a regular bases

·
OCD Slacker
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that its whitish the given year and the lack of maintenance sounds like the clear coat may be failing...Go get a paint cleaner Mothers and Megs has them....try that in a small area about 2x2 foot to start....use a cotton applicator so that you get a good grab on the surface....you should start to see the color of the car come up a bit on the applicator...that's the good thing...you can work the whole car with this...then I would use a straight polish again Mothers and Megs has them this will start to bring back the finish...however if the clear is failing then there is little you can do, but repaint...top that off with some paste wax and stay on it on a regular bases
Okay, I'll look for a paint cleaner. Hopefully target sells it. If not, I'll try Kragen auto supply. It really isn't worth a re-paint to us, although the rest of the car shines, especially the sides. There aren't any swirl marks I can see. It's really a mystery how this car was cared for all these years. It will be a great body for someone to re-paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts