BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trading in my 328iS this week for a new (leftover) 2001 540. Although I keep my car clean and well-maintained I know it will pick up road rash in daily driving. I know that vinyl bras are taboo. What is the verdict on the clear film I've seen? What's it called, and where do I get it done?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been thinking about getting that clear film for my car too...anybody ever had it? Suggestions/Advice/Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Yeap!! I do!!Had my pal Agent99 demo the process in 2002 Bimmerfest at Cutter Morors, using my car as the Ginnea :)

Here's Agent99 discuss the "game plan" w/ me on the install

Me cleaning the surface before the x-pel install

and here comes the x-pel

Its hard to see, so you'll have to take my word for it. The front end is covered w/ x-pel

If you are the type of person that would kick yourself on the a$$ if you have a paint chip, I strongly suggest you get some kind of front "nose" protection. After owning 5 bimmers, I can tell you that these water based paint chips VERY VERY easily.

but... if its a lease car and you don't give a $hit... then don't spend the money.

cheers,:bigpimp:

beewang

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It is a necessity...

Just my $0.02...

My father has it on his 330Ci and we highly recommends it as a result. Barely noticible and nothing has damaged the bullnose area of the car. My 3 year old unprotected 323i has plenty of chips and small scratches from tiny rocks / debris. :thumbdwn:

I would also recommend putting it on the side mirrors and the headlights/signals/fog lamps. It stops those nasty potmarks that can cloud the clarity of the clear plastic. :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are several companies that distribute product like this.

StonGard is one of the best, offering precut kits for lights as well as paint protection. No disclaimer, I am the Southern California distributor.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
How long does it last?

I wonder what happens when you wash your car. Does this stuff peel off a little?

Does it start to lift at the corners?

How long before it starts to look like you've got "tape" on your car?

How often should it be changed?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It has been on my fathers car for over a year and it has not peeled back at all. He does not hand wash it all the time. He goes through high pressure washers during the winter. The protectant looks the same today as the day he applied it. :thumbup: I'm not sure about what you mean by "tape" since it is clear plastic. It has not discolored or become cloudy at all. (Most manufacturers guarantee that it will not fade.)

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
GimpyMcFarlan said:
It has been on my fathers car for over a year and it has not peeled back at all. He does not hand wash it all the time. He goes through high pressure washers during the winter. The protectant looks the same today as the day he applied it.
Well, now I am seriously interested. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
machmeter said:
Well, now I am seriously interested. Thanks for the information.
I'm having the protectant placed on my new 330Ci on my way back from the PC. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics of both mine and my fathers for comparison. I'll post them here for evaluation. :)

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
How does the stuff in the BMW Aceessories catalog compare with, say, the X-Pel stuff? For an E46 wagon, BMW wants $119.95 (82 11 0 142 927) for hood and mirrors, while X-Pel wants $209.95 (P2114A). BMW bumper is $99.95 (82 11 0 142 926) and X-Pel is $189.95 (P2114B). BMW is less expensive? What am I missing? All of these should be the 3M material, so it isn't the material...

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
From my experince (as I installed the BMW kit on my previous 540) I think X-pel is better for the following reasons:
1) Pricing wise, they are about the same, because X-pel gives you the headlight cover piece (a much thicker material) and the mirror piece when you buy the whole kit. if Order the BMW pieces separately and the headlight covger piece. So its a wash.

2) X-pel has a better cut, meaning that their piece "fits" better, where the BMW kit has this "excess" piece on the edge (which is REALLy annoying, because its really hard to trim that piece off).

After experince w/ both, my vote goes to X-pel. BTW, I believe they will send you a free video teaching you how to install it just for the asking. I highly recommend you to do that.

:bigpimp: beewang

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Try Invinca-Shield for the paint protectant... I don't have their web address handy, but I'm sure you could find them doing a standard search.

For the 330Ci... The Standard kit (for above bumper and hood) is just $68. Include the bumper and spoiler and the price is $178. The mirrors are extra, but they are just $13.

They don't sell the headlight protectant, so I purchased that kit through X-Pel. Is is noticibly thicker than the paint protectant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Company Invisiguard installs Xpel kits in the SF bay area, and yes, you can buy discounted Xpel kits through BMW catalogs at nearly 50% off what Xpel retails them for on their site. Im not sure how it works out that way, but my advice is to order your kit through BMW if your considering getting one. Machmeter, my shops about 20min from you, if your interested write me at [email protected] and we'll give you a good deal;)
Jeremy

·
Registered
362 Posts
What about waxing, etc?

How do you wax the area that is covered? Do you do everything exactly the same, Zaino, and all to the covered and uncovered area?

The uncovered paint eventually fades somewhat over long time, so if you have your car covered for 3-5 years, will your hood be two-toned down the road?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Once the film is installed it can be washed, waxed, and treated as any other painted surface of your car, just no buffing machines. Since the film is completely clear, it allows light and UV to pass through so the paints color depriciates evenly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Price Comparo..

Here is a price comparison for the Invica-Shield product. For my 330Ci...

Standard Kit - $68 (above bumper and hood)
Mirrors - $17
Installation - $60 (1.5 hours)

My father and I installed the X-Pel light kit outselves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts