BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I noticed for the second time that there is a clear oily fluid making a small-ish (about 6x6") spill right underneath the engine. I'm unsure of when this is happening, if right after I start it, or right after I get home.

I have no codes. And all fluids are right at level. No other issues with the car.

We've had freezing temps in the last 3 days (between 32 F and 28 F)

I found this, and it seems to be exactly what I'm talking about. However, this thread is about an E34.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1216286-oily-clear-fluid-leaking

Is the consensus that this is the problem?
Has anyone done it by themselves?
I'm a very DIY kind of guy - is this doable by myself, or should I take it to my mech?
How urgent to repair is this? - This is my daily driver, but it's an old, cheap, fixed it myself, car, that I'm not too in love with it. If something is going to cost more than $500 to repair, I might not repair it, and just get rid of it - it's that kind of situation.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The only "normal fluid" that is clear and oily would be brake fluid (also used for hydraulic clutch). A/C condensation is also clear, but of course not oily. But really, you just need to get under it and start to explore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked briefly and it looks like it's coming off the right (passenger) side. I saw a couple of drops coming from the access port.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
1. The thread you posted as reference had some hilarious and true smart ass responses (Astroglide and smear on neighbor's car being the best), but it made no sense and there was no resolution.
2. Brake fluid is clear but the reservoir and master cylinder are on drivers side so passenger side not really adding up.
3. PS fluid is trans fluid so would be redish in color and if it's never been serviced it's going to be black, not clear.

Take off the belly pan (takes less time than it took me to read this thread and respond to it), check for evidence and location of leaks on the pan, look up and find the leak. If it's too messy clean it, put it back on, check after a couple of days. It takes five minutes to take the thing on and off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts