BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have searched the forum and can not find confirmation of ample clearance for 235/45/17 size tires on front of my e90. I have a pair of Yokohama Advan tires that I removed from another vehicle and would rather put them on than buy new 225s. Has anyone run this size without spacers?

Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I could find there was a calculator to convert from different aspect ratios and diameters. For example if you want to change from 45 to 50 aspect ratio you would need to go from 225 to 205. And if you want to go from 17 to 18 inch you would need to go from 225/45/17 to 225/40/18. All it would recommend for my vehicle was the standard 225s. Maybe that is as wide as you can go?

Oh, BTW I am running style 161 17x8 inch wheels with 34mm offset.

I can't be the first to try this can I?

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Hello all,

I have searched the forum and can not find confirmation of ample clearance for 235/45/17 size tires on front of my e90. I have a pair of Yokohama Advan tires that I removed from another vehicle and would rather put them on than buy new 225s. Has anyone run this size without spacers?

Any advice is much appreciated.
I really doubt they would have a clearance problem. It's just 10mm of additional width and 4.5mm of sidewall. However your speedo will be a tiny bit off and your front end will be a tiny bit higher (assuming you have oem sizes on back). If you're not awd it should be ok

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really doubt they would have a clearance problem. It's just 10mm of additional width and 4.5mm of sidewall. However your speedo will be a tiny bit off and your front end will be a tiny bit higher (assuming you have oem sizes on back). If you're not awd it should be ok
Thanks for the reply. I agree it should be OK, but it is nice to hear it from someone who has done it. My speedo is off by 5 mph anyway with both sets of my wheels and tires so I am not sure what is going on there. My summer wheels have the 17x8.5 wheels with 255/40 tires on back. There is a lot of room back there and no it is not AWD.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,168 Posts
i'm running 245/45/17s on et 30 rims, no problems except a minor rub at full lock.
235/45/17s on stock rims (et34) will be fine

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
You Had Me at Clearance. I am all about saving money.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will have them mounted and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those interested in an update I finally got the 235s mounted and all appears to be well. I do notice a little more road spray along the side but I wash her often so that is no big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts