BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I did a STFF and did not find the answer to this question, so forgive me but:

Are the 1156 and PY21W corner bulb the same thing?

I ordered a set of Philips Silvervision for "my" car from powerbulbs.com. They came fine. Turns out the bulbs were PY21W alright, but they do not fit my lamp sockets.

So I removed the OEM bulb (amber) and noted the number on it, 1156.

So I go to group 5 motorsports, and order a pair of Philips Silvervision 1156 bulbs, thinking, aha, I am on the right track.

Of course the bulbs finally came today and, sure enough, they are not marked 1156 but actually PY21W. And of course they are identical to the first set. (Actually depending on the answer to the above question I might be peeved at G5 Motorsport for sending me the wrong bulb, but I will await the 'fest's input.)

WTF? :dunno:

Am I just missing the point and there is no such thing as a Philips Silvervision 1156 bulb that will fit my car ('03 ZHP)??? Should I just suck it up and dremel off one prong and stuff them in?

·
TXSunDvl
3,630 Posts
I have a 2001 325Ci on which I installed the clear lenses. The py21w silvervision bulbs fit perfectly in mine. Maybe the prong placements are different between the coupe and sedan.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I think euro makers are the only ones that use the PY base that has the 2nd pin at the odd angle. I guess it's to prevent (duh, not really) people from putting clear bulbs where amber ones need to be there by law. I've seen Silvervisions sold as PY21W, but everything else seems to be P21W which is the same as 1156. If you don't want to file off the pin and have the amber corners, you can just swap sockets since those are plain P21W. There is a good reason not to shave the pin. I had a problem on mine where the bottom contact of the bulb sat at just enough of an angle to build up too much heat and deform the contact and cause it to not light. I had to pull the bulb out and reform the contact with solder.

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I gave up and shaved a prong on these bulbs and they fit ok now.

:thumbdwn: on Group 5 motorsports for touting these bulbs as 1156 then selling PY21W.

:thumbdwn: on Group 5 motorsports for not returning a customers call made during business hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.