Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My fan button collapsed on the low side. So I ordered a new button panel from ebay to replace. Well, once I got it open I realized that the "spring" or contact behind the button was the problem, and not the button itself. The spring steel collapsed completely. When I tried to expand it with a small screwdriver it moved maybe a millimeter and then broke off. So it was the spring that was worn out, not the button.

Does anyone have any idea where to get those springs? I looked everywhere but nothing. It's looking like I'll have to buy an entire used panel, which obviously I really don't want to do.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Most likely in HW stores. Some have big cabinets with all kind of springs. .You will have to find a "close fit " and cut/adjust to your needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely in HW stores. Some have big cabinets with all kind of springs. .You will have to find a "close fit " and cut/adjust to your needs.
Thanks, I plan to check out a few stores this weekend. Do you happen to know if they used the same springs in the business CD radio? I can get that for less than $50 on ebay and rip the springs out. Expensive, but MUCH cheaper than even the worst used climate control unit.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
No idea..
if they use same type of fan control button than it is likely.. but I would hope you can make something w/o spending big $
What type of spring is there anyways? you have pic?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea..
if they use same type of fan control button than it is likely.. but I would hope you can make something w/o spending big $
What type of spring is there anyways? you have pic?
As you can see, it's a ridiculous part to blow $50 on, but hey it's the AC and heat, lol. No choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
As you can see, it's a ridiculous part to blow $50 on, but hey it's the AC and heat, lol. No choice.
Still cant see details but this thing is small...
Is it single spring controlling up and down motion? And is that spring or plastic part broken?

you can go to watch repair guy and ask him - they do all things with old clocks and have all kind of springs :)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Ah hah! http://www.ebay.com/itm/400632995971?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sold! If that doesn't have the springs in it I'll be shocked. Same years, and style buttons. I just paid $18.48 for a piece of bent spring steel no bigger than a penny, and I'm happy about it, lol. (I hope) I'll update when it arrives.
BMW does not make radios and question is if they get radio and Ac panels from same manuf or System manuf use their own technology and only making panels look the same - in this case springs could be very different

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
BMW does not make radios and question is if they get radio and Ac panels from same manuf or System manuf use their own technology and only making panels look the same - in this case springs could be very different

The metal piece. The arrow points to where it broke. The bend collapsed and when I tried to open it, hell when I touched it, it snapped at the bend. ...and yes, that feeble little spring mechanism is behind all your climate control buttons. Whatever you do, don't take it apart unless you have to. Putting it back together is like the kids game "Operation".

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, didn't work. The one I ordered had modern style silicone with metal inserts behind the buttons. The hunt continues! For now I put it back together with one dead button. "Auto", which I never would use anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone inquired as to the cost of the dealer fixing the broken spring problem? My fan speed button went limp and am unable to control the speed,

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Has anyone inquired as to the cost of the dealer fixing the broken spring problem? My fan speed button went limp and am unable to control the speed,
How hard is to call dealer if you want to know what their price is?
They don't fix springs - they replace panel which you can do for 1/3 of their price easily

1 - 13 of 13 Posts