BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me E63, 2010 w/50k on it and am having a climate control issue - and it just might be me.

When I turn the temp dial all the way to lowest or highest setting I expect the fan to kick in on high and for it to blow hot or cold air. In AUTO it should maintain the selected temperature. In my situation i do not get any, or much of any, change in the blower speed and it really does not put out any really hot - or really cold air. When I push the drivers side Temperature control I see that the AUTO program is set to "High".

However....... when in the Auto program screen I can use the I Drive dial to adjust temperature and then I will get acceptable Hot or Cold air.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have a setting set so that my temp setting does not kick in or is there a sensor I should be looking at / replacing?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
22,033 Posts
IHKA is not intended or designed to blast fridgid or hot air. It ain’t a goddamn GMC. Your expectations are the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense implies or taken! Your right its not a GMC! However when moving the temperature dials to low or high temp I would expect to see a significant temperature change in the air exiting the system. I can live with lower air volume but it I would think that it needs to get warmer or colder.

Still looking for a direction to go - and yes it might be operator error!

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey wait so if i get this right your adjusting the air temp on the dials that has the temp on it right? cause for fan speed you can just move the center dial to get more airflow.

I had an 07 coupe and for me to get some changes in air temp I still had to go into the idrive and adjust it there too its just weird, also auto just sucks and to me is worthless but hey it might work better for you than it did for me but I always just adjust it to my liking and not use the auto feature for the climate control but since you have an 2010 idk if it is much more different than my 07 so hope this helps? lol but goodluck and hopefully you'll get it all sorted out

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
If you have the IDrive settings turned all the way to cold or hot, it will keep the system from giving you the expected temp. You can set it in the middle to find a happy median, or all the way you want it to work based on where you live. Also remember that the center vents have settings that respond only to those selector dials. If the battery is low on voltage, it will keep the fan from ramping all of the way when set on auto. This is usually a sign to charge the battery overnight, to get it back to a proper charge. Sometimes you also need to clear the soft codes that are set, even though you will never be notified they exist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the AC in my car will pretty much freeze you out. The heater on the other hand is not as warm as I would like it to be. I may try looking into the climate control screen thing. I really never fooled with that. But I only drive the car occasionally on the weekend, so I haven't familiarized myself with a few things on it.

·
Registered
E64 650 & F25 X3 3.0D
70 Posts
When you do, check out the stratification control (small box in attached picture). It seems to make a big difference. And depending on how the IHKA is programmed it may not reset when you go to the "Automatic" setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
When you do, check out the stratification control (small box in attached picture). It seems to make a big difference. And depending on how the IHKA is programmed it may not reset when you go to the "Automatic" setting.
This is your ticket right here. Living in Austin, I have to fool with this all the time. It can be 32 one day, and 72 the next. when its 32, the 72 setting wont work. and vice versa. sometimes I forget about it, it gets to 90 and wonder why my a/c isn't working, then I remember this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts