BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving home today, id thought i would turn off the A/C and put the sunroof down. Well, as it started to get hot, I decided that I wanted the A/C again. When I tried to push the A/C on button, nothing happened. I turned the car off and on, and the climate controls will not power up at all!

I JUST got the car back from the dealership to get the thermostat & housing replaced, and the radiator expansion tank. The bleeder valve had to be replaced as well, since it blew off and leaked coolant everywhere. I hope this is not the result of electrical damage and wonder if the 2 could be related. Can anyone help?? Maybe its just a fuse going out, but im not really sure how to go about checking for that.

Edit: On the way home, i heard kind of a screetching sound coming from the engine. I hope this is not the cooling system.. again.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Checked the fuses. I didnt see any bad ones.. Could I just need a new climate control module?

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump ditty ump

·
Registered
400 Posts
MrTex said:
As I was driving home today, id thought i would turn off the A/C and put the sunroof down. Well, as it started to get hot, I decided that I wanted the A/C again. When I tried to push the A/C on button, nothing happened. I turned the car off and on, and the climate controls will not power up at all!

I JUST got the car back from the dealership to get the thermostat & housing replaced, and the radiator expansion tank. The bleeder valve had to be replaced as well, since it blew off and leaked coolant everywhere. I hope this is not the result of electrical damage and wonder if the 2 could be related. Can anyone help?? Maybe its just a fuse going out, but im not really sure how to go about checking for that.

Edit: On the way home, i heard kind of a screetching sound coming from the engine. I hope this is not the cooling system.. again.
Try disconnecting the battery to see if it resets.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Screeching noise? As in a belt squeeling? If it's a belt, then you may see some shredding on its edge.

The environment system does take into account the coolant temp, outside temp, and the car's speed (ref: Bentley manual).

I recommend that you check your A/C belt and coolant level, and see if the system starts up on the following morning when the engine is completely cooled.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I'll check it out.. thanks for the replies.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Does your fan come on at all? If not, it might be the Final Stage Resistor... that's what happened in my car... turned on A/C, nada... no air at all...

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Salvator said:
Does your fan come on at all? If not, it might be the Final Stage Resistor... that's what happened in my car... turned on A/C, nada... no air at all...
Nope, the whole system wont come on. What is a final stage resistor? My A/C doesnt even turn on, the lights on the controls are all dead.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reset the battery. That didnt do any good. I just had the whole A/C system replaced, too! :mad: My girlfriend thinks my car's more trouble than its worth. Im starting to agree with her.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Starting to sound like the control unit isn't getting power.

If it has been recently been removed, then it may have not been plugged in all the way.

You can also check fuses 23, 28, 62, & 63.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Salvator said:
It's a little device under the dash that controls the fans... without it, no flow... fortunately, mine was under CPO warranty, so no muss no fuss... I understand there are DIY instructions floating around if you wish to try to rectify it yourself... Here you go...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1683478&postcount=1
I'll take a look. Thanks.

bitmouse said:
Starting to sound like the control unit isn't getting power.

If it has been recently been removed, then it may have not been plugged in all the way.

You can also check fuses 23, 28, 62, & 63.
I'm starting to wonder about that. I did just have my evaporator replaced, so they took the dash apart for that. Now that I think about it, it seems to have stopped working after I went over a bump really hard and turned the car off later, it didnt go out right then. I pulled out the console "storage" cube and saw a couple of wires back there. I know one powers the radio.. cause all it seems like is it just basically isnt getting power. The a/c worked great before it just decided to shut off.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got an appt for tomorrow. I'll see what the verdict is. Thanks for all the replies. I'll post again when I discover what the problem was.

If it's the final stage resistor, i'll know why they call it that. After a while, it finally resists working.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like it was the whole climate control panel (unit). They had to order a new unit, repair cost about $450.. covered under extended warranty.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE-- They put the climate control unit in, and the problem is still there!! It blows warm on the right (passenger) side, and semi-cold on the drivers side. warm on the floor vents, and warm on the windshield vents. The compressor works, the evaporater is new, new expansion valve, new hoses, and the charge is fine... no known leaks in the system. Final stage resistor??

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Final stage resistor, AFAIK, controls the blower fans... when in auto mode, it adjusts the speed of the fan to help cool down or heat up the vehicle quickly... I don't think it would cause one side to be cooler than the other (do you have dual zone heating and cooling?) Seems to me like something is not hooked up right... perhaps they should try another climate control unit? :dunno:

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I just have the regular climate controls, no dual zone. Im taking it back today and getting a loaner bmw so they can "further evaluate and diagnose" the problem, taking into consideration they might have screwed up something when they took the entire dash apart for the evaporator service. I cant handle having inadequate cold air flow in this heat & humidity this time of year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vornado, I have a dead system now like you did. What was your final outcome? Did it take another climate control unit, or was it something further?

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Cold air on the driver's and hot on the passenger's side seems to be a hallmark of low refrigerant in the system. Have them check again and if need be, empty the system, pull a vacuum and reload the appropriate amount of R-134a (2 1/2 lbs, IIRC, check sticker)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.