BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 07 328i convertible, manual trans. Don't recall hearing any noises when I got it, but now there's a clinking sound at slow speed, sometimes when I go out of the driveway, which is a bit of a bump down. When taking off and shifting, I don't hear a thing. Seems you have to be going slow. I think it's drivers side rear. It's not a clunk. It's more metallic, which is why I say a 'clink'. I read some threads and the most similar was that brake pads were not tight in the caliper. The car did have a recent brake job (like within a couple hundred miles), so this very well could be the culprit. Could be something else loose, but I haven't found anything. Car will be in for new poly bushings on thrust rods next week, so I'll ask the techs to check underneath, but wondered if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.
Scott

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Just bought an 07 328i convertible, manual trans. Don't recall hearing any noises when I got it, but now there's a clinking sound at slow speed, sometimes when I go out of the driveway, which is a bit of a bump down. When taking off and shifting, I don't hear a thing. Seems you have to be going slow. I think it's drivers side rear. It's not a clunk. It's more metallic, which is why I say a 'clink'. I read some threads and the most similar was that brake pads were not tight in the caliper. The car did have a recent brake job (like within a couple hundred miles), so this very well could be the culprit. Could be something else loose, but I haven't found anything. Car will be in for new poly bushings on thrust rods next week, so I'll ask the techs to check underneath, but wondered if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.
Scott
Recently married?

No, you would've seen that. Well, were I you, I'd raise the car; use a creeper. Jiggle stuff. What do you hear?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice touch. Getting underneath is probably the next step. Being old and fatter than I should be doesn't make it easy on this low slung beast, but I'll have to give it a shot. I'm leaning toward brakes, but like you say, should tug on stuff and see if anything sounds right or appears loose.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My god calwaterboy I just pooped my pants laughing at that!! So when you back up , then go forward does it only make the" clink" when you touch the brakes? Mine does this after I reverse out of the driveway and then stop at the stop sign down the street . My Lexus did this too . There was nothing wrong with the brakes , it was just how they worked .

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
My god calwaterboy I just pooped my pants laughing at that!! So when you back up , then go forward does it only make the" clink" when you touch the brakes? Mine does this after I reverse out of the driveway and then stop at the stop sign down the street . My Lexus did this too . There was nothing wrong with the brakes , it was just how they worked .

OK this was posted to a completely diff thread! Board software....not inserting ***** like it used to, but now this.....

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
my god calwaterboy i just pooped my pants laughing at that!! So when you back up , then go forward does it only make the" clink" when you touch the brakes? Mine does this after i reverse out of the driveway and then stop at the stop sign down the street . My lexus did this too . There was nothing wrong with the brakes , it was just how they worked .
Formal Smiley.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts