BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did some searching and couldn't find any related posts - but it's possible I missed something. Apologies if I did.

I have an odd issue and I'm wondering if anyone here ever ran into the same thing - the air flow to my driver-side cabin filter is clogged. I was cleaning the Cabin air filters a few days ago when I noticed a large amount of leaves coming out of the hole in the metal that feeds the filter housing. I removed what I could with my hands, but there is definitely still more in there. I went and got my shop vac and tried both sucking the debris out and using the blowing function and nothing cleared it. I tested out on the passenger side and that side is noticeably clear compared to the driver's side.
So has anyone else ever encountered this?
if so, how did you fix it? Suggestions?

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
So this accumulation is under the filter, right? The housing is removed after the clip and the hood sensor are disconnected, and the weatherstrip is lifted up.

Once you have it out, check the well underneath for debris, and make sure the drain hole is clear.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I searched for "gym sock" smell in the bestlinks to find this for the OP:

See the red link below ...

- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2) & how to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) (3) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky gym sock AC odors (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to find your low pressure aircon recharge port (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) (1) & R134a conversion information (1) (2) how to measure A C temperature (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1) & air conditioner compressor replacement DIYs (1) or compressor rebuilds (1) or ac hose rebuilding services (1) & how to remove the IHKA air conditioning control panel to clean the circuit board (1) (2) (3) (4) with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1) & how to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2) or to replace the IHKA button (1) & how to check the IHKA sampling fan (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & what is this thing (HVAC/IHKA solar sensor) in the middle of my dashboard by the windshield (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this accumulation is under the filter, right? The housing is removed after the clip and the hood sensor are disconnected, and the weatherstrip is lifted up.

Once you have it out, check the well underneath for debris, and make sure the drain hole is clear.
Not quite... the debris is all in here:

inside the pathway leading to the filter housing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I searched for "gym sock" smell in the bestlinks to find this for the OP:

See the red link below ...

- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2) & how to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) (3) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky gym sock AC odors (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to find your low pressure aircon recharge port (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) (1) & R134a conversion information (1) (2) how to measure A C temperature (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1) & air conditioner compressor replacement DIYs (1) or compressor rebuilds (1) or ac hose rebuilding services (1) & how to remove the IHKA air conditioning control panel to clean the circuit board (1) (2) (3) (4) with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1) & how to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2) or to replace the IHKA button (1) & how to check the IHKA sampling fan (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & what is this thing (HVAC/IHKA solar sensor) in the middle of my dashboard by the windshield (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7).

Thanks BlueBee, but those didn't seem to be quite the same as my issue. I've not actually had many AC-related problems & I have changed the Cabin Air filter. as you'll see from my more recent post the problem is that there is stuff jammed up in whatever that thing is that I have circled... :-(
Lot of good read tho, thanks!!

·
NADAVAN
631 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to access the other side of that grommet. Perhaps by removing the aft portion of the fender liner you can see and remove the debris that is blocking the air duct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts