BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know nothing is "lifetime" in a car

so when i see there is nothing in the "service & warranty info" booklet about diff fluid change....i am wondering if that's really the case??

have anyone done a diff change on the X3?? if so when is it really needed??

the booklet also said coolant is "lifetime" which i also doubt.......

it suggested the tranny fluid will last 100k miles...which is usually what all the manf. recommend...but can it really last 100k miles???

and what about fuel filter??

my car is getting close to 60k and usually on my previous cars i would have done the following

1. tranny fluid change
2. rear diff fluid change
3. drain coolant....flush it with fresh water and then refill with new coolant
4. fuel filter replaced

i wanna see whatz you guys take on it

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
seems reasonable to me. you might even add power steering fluid replacement to your list. like you i am skeptical of "lifetime" claims for replacing any fluid that is used to lubricate or facilitate a mechanical devise.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Seems reasonable--how about adding:

Lubricate all ball joints?

When I was a "Do It Yourselfer" this was sop after 30k miles.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i am actually deciding if i should just wait till 100k and do everything then......it seems like it should be OK

the car is CPO so warranty is till 100k and if anything goes b4 that is covered under CPO

i will probably still do the fuel filter but i think i'll wait on the tranny, diff and coolant flush

i am planning on doing it all by myself....but is just kindda hot these days (and yes i am lazy lolssss) and really i dun think it would be a big deal to wait till 100k.... i think bmw use all synthetic fluids correct (ie diff and tranny)

thoughts??

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 2004 was in for an Inspection II about a month ago (around 63K miles).

They found a fault code had been thrown indicating "degraded transfer case oil" and changed it. Cost was covered under the extended maintenance plan I purchased before I hit 50K.

I experienced nothing that would indicate the oil had degraded before I took it in for the Inspection.

:dunno:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hummm interesting info, thanks :)

anybody else???

is weird how none of the booklet mentioned anything about diff fluid replacement intervals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts