BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the "clown nose" light, the one on the underside of the rear view mirror.

Last night I noticed a red light blinking, the one on the bottom of the rear view mirror.
I do not have an alarm system. Looking in the owner's manual under alarm system it indicated the hood, trunk, or doors are not closed securely. I opened the drivers side door and closed it and relocked and the light stopped blinking. I don't really get this as there is no reference to that light in the owners manual that I could see except under alarm system.

Anybody really understand this light ?:)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
It can be programed to flash to simulate an alarm system. I think that is the default setting or at least the most popular. Mine does the same thing.

By the way, I like the options on your Z - same as mine except the exterior color.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z4luvr said:
It can be programed to flash to simulate an alarm system. I think that is the default setting or at least the most popular. Mine does the same thing.

By the way, I like the options on your Z - same as mine except the exterior color.
Mine does not normally flash. Tonight it did not blink when I locked up, just last night. That is why I'm confused.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It flashes on mine when locked, and does the same on my wife's 325Coupe, neither of which have the alarm system.
It also did the same on my X3 I used to have.
I think the dealer can program it to work the way you want. I guess Passport BMW must automatically program it to work on the cars they deliver.
My guess is that the wire and electronics for the alarm are built into the car, and you just add a motion sensor and make some type of connection to the horn to get a full alarm system. Since everyone ignores these alarms around here, I don't bother with buying them.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bill92 said:
It flashes on mine when locked, and does the same on my wife's 325Coupe, neither of which have the alarm system.
It also did the same on my X3 I used to have.
I think the dealer can program it to work the way you want. I guess Passport BMW must automatically program it to work on the cars they deliver.
My guess is that the wire and electronics for the alarm are built into the car, and you just add a motion sensor and make some type of connection to the horn to get a full alarm system. Since everyone ignores these alarms around here, I don't bother with buying them.
I wonder if it is NOT programmed to blink if it then does if a door or trunk is not completely closed and you lock the car ? This is what the owner's manual says on page 23.
I'm going to try some experiments.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried everything I could think of and could not get the clown nose to blink. Now I'm convinced, with no alarm system, it blinks if programmed to otherwise it stays off and my experience must have been a fluke.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tonight when I locked my car the clown nose started blinking. Still don't know why. I unlocked the car, opened and closed both doors, locked the car again and no more blink.
The reason I continue to beat this dead horse is in case someone else has this problem or understands what is happening.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
In the 3 series, pressing the lock button twice (as opposed to once) changes the arming state of the alarm. May be that has something to do with it?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Tonight when I locked my car the clown nose started blinking. Still don't know why. I unlocked the car, opened and closed both doors, locked the car again and no more blink.
The reason I continue to beat this dead horse is in case someone else has this problem or understands what is happening.
On my M Coupe with no alarm with the drivers side door closed and no key in the ignition, it locks and flashes the signals once. The clown nose starts blinking after ~1 minute 11 seconds. On open it flashes the signals twice.

No siren = no chirps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts