Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the differential fluid last year. When I put the car into reverse I get a nice clunk on occasion. Sometimes not at all. I almost want to say I feel some "play" or something when selecting reverse right before the clunking sound. I was thinking it could be a transmission issue but I remember reading somewhere that a reverse clunk could be low differential fluid??? Maybe I didnt get it filled all the way up? The differential is filled until it comes out of the fill hole right? I cant remember. Its one of those deals where you cant "overfill" it because once it starts coming out the fill hole you put the plug in?

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I changed the differential fluid last year. When I put the car into reverse I get a nice clunk on occasion. Sometimes not at all. I almost want to say I feel some "play" or something when selecting reverse right before the clunking sound. I was thinking it could be a transmission issue but I remember reading somewhere that a reverse clunk could be low differential fluid??? Maybe I didnt get it filled all the way up? The differential is filled until it comes out of the fill hole right? I cant remember. Its one of those deals where you cant "overfill" it because once it starts coming out the fill hole you put the plug in?
Right...right...simply put my friend...move to replacing the Rear drive shalf...those u joints are toast...might as well do the guibo and the center support bearing...ask me how I know...still not convinced....and if you answer this question with a yes is the car over the 100k mileage?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking drive shaft play. I watched a video some time ago just to see the complexity of replacing it. Dropping the exhaust and all scares me a bit. I seen the price of parts didnt look too bad and the actualy labor was straightforward but the dropping of the exhaust and everything freaked me out for some reason. Question....if I get underneath an try to twist the shaft (lol) should it move much or even at all? What kind of test can I do to check the shaft? Also, I vaguely remember, might have been something you did at some point tightening some "bolts" around the drive shaft somewhere????

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I was thinking drive shaft play. I watched a video some time ago just to see the complexity of replacing it. Dropping the exhaust and all scares me a bit. I seen the price of parts didnt look too bad and the actualy labor was straightforward but the dropping of the exhaust and everything freaked me out for some reason. Question....if I get underneath an try to twist the shaft (lol) should it move much or even at all? What kind of test can I do to check the shaft? Also, I vaguely remember, might have been something you did at some point tightening some "bolts" around the drive shaft somewhere????
Let me suggest this to you...get the car in the air by way of lift or Jack stands...and get under there and scout out the area...look over and see what you need to do, locate the bolts...try to turn the drive shaft...any play? understand when we say drop the exhaust, your not going to disconnect the exhaust from the car.
But first understand that you do have to remove the heat shield -sounds intimidating- it's not...
8 to 10 10mm bolts need to be removed holding the heat shield in place.
then come out from under the car and view videos see how its done professionally and how its done by the guys who fly by the seat of there pants. Finishing the job correctly is a great feeling of accomplishment (not to mention the money you save when I first needed the replacement it cost me $1500 and that was in 2014) and you grow tremendously personally beware! a small level of addiction can come into play...believe me you'll need it because something is going to need repairing sooner than later on the bmw...embrace the experience and please,,, dont freak out!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts