BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not sure whether this is normal or not (it's my first RWD car) but there's a clunking noise from rear-end when pressing the clutch at low speed (in the heavy traffic for instance) when sifting in 1st or 1st to 2nd. My initial impression was that the noise happens when I depress the clutch but today I listened carefully and it seems that it happens when I press it (mostly to shift from 1st to 2nd).

Anyone?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
danpop said:
Well, I'm not sure whether this is normal or not (it's my first RWD car) but there's a clunking noise from rear-end when pressing the clutch at low speed (in the heavy traffic for instance) when sifting in 1st or 1st to 2nd. My initial impression was that the noise happens when I depress the clutch but today I listened carefully and it seems that it happens when I press it (mostly to shift from 1st to 2nd).

Anyone?
The driveline is designed with a good amount of slack in the rear diffs. When you're accelerating in 1st and clutch in, the torsion in the driveline slacks and bangs against these rubber output flanges and causes the "clunk". It was designed to create less impact on the driveline and let the output flanges do all the work to absorb all the change in force.

If you want to properly learn how to drive the manual, learn how to minimize this impact by making sure your engine speed is matched with the speed the driveline is rotating at and you won't hear the clunk anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.