BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a stupid question
how likely the bad front strut make a clunk noise when you go over bums like a bad ball joint.i've checked the lower and upper control arms they all look good but i have a doubt that one of my struts is bad and i wasn;t sure if it would make the noise or not.any ideas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they were all checked.everything in the front is good except the left strut which i know now that is bad.

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
Since everything else checks out I'd have the strut replaced. Pay close attention to the collar nut (might be loose) and the upper mount. They can cause similar noises.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Hey kkodal78. Just visiting from the E36 forum (I’m looking at another E34 to possibly buy tomorrow :D ). I had a 92 525i with exactly the same symptoms you are describing. It was the strut. Had my strut cartridges replaced and cured the problem.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Since everything else checks out I'd have the strut replaced. Pay close attention to the collar nut (might be loose) and the upper mount. They can cause similar noises.
Ditto, That kind of clunking is indicative of a bad strut / strut mount. And if the strut is bad the strut Mount may be shot too (and vice versa).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey kkodal78. Just visiting from the E36 forum (I'm looking at another E34 to possibly buy tomorrow :D ). I had a 92 525i with exactly the same symptoms you are describing. It was the strut. Had my strut cartridges replaced and cured the problem.
thanks.i am going to go ahead and change the front strut inserts to see how it goes.the noise is driving me nuts.my other e34s are so smooth on bumps but this one which i love the most cause it is manual giving me the clunk noise.i'll let you all know if this resolves it.thanks again for everyones replies

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
thanks.i am going to go ahead and change the front strut inserts to see how it goes.the noise is driving me nuts.my other e34s are so smooth on bumps but this one which i love the most cause it is manual giving me the clunk noise.i'll let you all know if this resolves it.thanks again for everyones replies
The other symptom that I had and forgot to mention was that, if I crossed something really bumpy (such as RR tracks etc.) and was in a curve at the same time ...... hang on Nelly :yikes: The steering wheel would shake hard and the direction the car was going would not be very sure. My strut cartridge was easy to diagnose ... it had oil all over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts