BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of road work going on around my house.

Recently when going over steel road plates I have heard a loud clunk coming from center of my dash, I think from the engine compartment. When I look in the EC, I see two diagonal rods that terminate at the point under the center of the dash.

Any thoughts?

SteveO

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe you forgot to put your "trunk monkey" away?

·
BMWCCA Member
694 Posts
I just looked up the list of SIB's, and SIB 51 13 04 refers to a "rattling noise from Center Display". I don't think that's going to provide the answer, because it's a lot more than a rattling noise, although I'd love to see that SIB. I also have the OP's problem. When going over a pothole, or even when driving very slowly from the street surface onto a driveway, for example, I hear a loud "clunking" noise, from under the center of the car, just a little in front of the driver and passenger seats.

Anyone have an idea?

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
Here you go...

Attachments

·
BMWCCA Member
694 Posts
Thanks for this SIB. As I mentioned, my problem, as well as the OP's, is more a "clunking" than a rattling.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
Good for you. Love to hear those "goodwill" repairs are still in vogue. :)

·
BMWCCA Member
694 Posts
It's been a month and a half since the last post on this subject, and my "clunking" or "creaking" has been getting a bit worse. I brought my car to be serviced today, armed with the SIB that Pete540i so kindly told us about. I explained the problem to the SA and he said, "Oh, I know what that is ... we get a couple of those a week". He assured me that all it requires is some tightening. I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully, the clunking, creaking, rattling, whatever will be gone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
What you describe to the forum indicates the forward strut tower braces. They fasten on top of the strut towers sweeping back on a 45 degree angle and terminate in the center of the engine compartment just under the windshield wipers. Two torx fasteners and they are pretty hard to get at but when they loosen up it makes a clunking noise inside the center of the dash when driving on un-even pavement or on initial roll or stopping. Thought that what was my issue but it turned out to be suspension bushings. Will check my paperwork and find the diagnosis but my '08 535i Sport has been nothing but problems. I cannot and have never had it inspected since a code has always been present. I am going to attempt a lemon law...
Cc

·
BMWCCA Member
694 Posts
Sorry your problem is tougher to fix than mine, Cancan. Your diagnosis of my problem was 100% correct. I picked up my car this morning and the creaking and clunking are gone. Cause: "Tension strut at spring strut tower loose ... removed and replaced tension strut." This fixed the creaking. For the clunking, they retorqued the bolts.

Good luck with yours, CC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.