BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for some help in finding a new cluster for my 01 540/M. Can I use an auto and swap the front cover?

The issue I had was pixilation...in the process of fixing that I busted the stepper motors. What are my options?

Is there anything I need to know about swapping in a cluster from another car? Will anything need to be re-coded?

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
Iirc auto clusters and manual clusters are the same, but the cluster will have to be virginized (i think) and synced to the car.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
You will need aftemarket software/hardware to accomplish what you desire***8230;..as well as an understsnding of how to zero out the used cluster (virginize as stated above)***8230;..and also do some ZKE coding to a cluster from an automatic to make it understand that it will now be receiving info from a 6 speed manual tranny instead of a 5 speed auto.

The LCM will need notification due to the reverse/backup light signal being different...as well as the tachometer data being different...and the gear light in the IKE & other functions I'm probably forgetting. This is not a simple plug-n-play swap.

All six data points in info below must be considered and dealt with accordingly if replacing a cluster (IKE) or LCM:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bugger. Looks like I'll need to find a local tuner to code the new cluster or someone local to rebuild my current one. Who is recommended to use in Orlando FL?

·
Registered
137 Posts
contact blackknight530i aka Paul MArtin. He fixed my pixels and converted to M5 Cluster for my 2001 540i/6 - worked perfectly and was a fast turnaround. He may alos have used clusters to repair or replace yours

HTH

John

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
contact blackknight530i aka Paul MArtin. He fixed my pixels and converted to M5 Cluster for my 2001 540i/6 - worked perfectly and was a fast turnaround. He may alos have used clusters to repair or replace yours

HTH

John
Awesome PM sent!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Went with Paul. I'll update the thread with the process and my feeling on service and workmanship.

Thanks to JFMJR442 for pointing me in the right direction. Paul has been awesome to deal with so far.

EDIT: Also picking up a E60 short shifter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have updated this thread earlier but just haven't had time.

I give Paul a 10/10 for customer service and 10/10 for his product.

My transaction wasn't perfectly smooth because something got messed up in shipping but Paul is going above and beyond taking care of it. That's rare in this day and age sadly. We are lucky to have someone like Paul. He is now my 1st choice for anything. If I had my way, and I had the money. I'd have him restore/build me 750 6M.

Cheers Paul....thank you so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts