BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were told by our local BMW dealership that we needed the cluster replaced in my girlfriend's 03 z4 and instead of purchasing their new $1300 cluster, we found a used one. They are telling us that they can't program this one to the car. Is this the truth or are they just upset that we didn't purchase their new one? I only ask because I work for Ford and we can program used clusters all day long and update them with the actual miles on the car that the cluster is going in to. Any info will be greatly appreciated!! BTW, very nice forum, I used to be a member of SHOForum back in the day.

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
I think it's a case of won't do it, not can't do it. Even if you buy a new cluster it still needs to be programmed and sync'd up with the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a used cluster to try changing out the LED lights to another colour.
I did some research and all I came up with was that the mileage would not read the same. Ie the mileage would be from the car the cluster came from.
Apparently the mileage is stored in the cluster.

I did not get around to putting the used cluster in my car yet

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It can be done, but it's not something the dealer network will do or has access to the tools required. There is no official BMW practice regarding replacing a cluster with a used one. New cluster are shipped in a virgin state and are put through an initialization procedure. The same initialization procedure cannot be started again.

The anti-tamper dot is an indication that the VIN stored in the IKE (integrated in the cluster) does not match the official VIN of the car stored in the LCM (the light control module).

Like I said, it can be done: there's a few DIY that will come up, if you're willing to spend the time and effort to do it. Otherwise there's places where you send them the old cluster and the replacement one and they'll code it for you. I inquired with RPM Motorsport and they could do it for you; others similar places that do coding may be able to help you.

I know early production Z4s would have bad clusters and there was a TSB on point. All the lights in the cluster would light up and beep. My car did it once but after I unplugged the battery overnight it went away and never cam back. It probably happen 3 or 4 years ago. Is this why you're getting it replaced?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts