BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What warranty? The clutch is essentially unwarranted in the first place. Any failure is automatically assumed to be abuse.

·
Registered
678 Posts
IIRC, it was determined some time ago by regulars at bimmer.org (including TD and HACK) that the E46 doe not have a delay valve and the whatever is causing it to feel like it does is part of the slave cylinder. At the very least, this mod is only available for 323/328 model E46s.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My curiosity comes from the fact that someone with a 330xi claimed to have had it done on alt.autos.bmw a while ago.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
I'm thinking the '02 has it.

Sitting in my car in the garage, with the car door open and the motor off; Quickly relase the clutch, you'll hear clutch noises after the pedal reaches the top of the clutch activation.

Not a quick after but a half second or so after. I'm thinking this is due to a delay valve of some sort.

Last I heard, was that the clutch slave cylinder has a tiny orifice inside where the line connects, and the only way to remove it is to drill it out.

Dunno rumor or not.

G

·
As of last year, we pretty much put this one to bed. It went as far as studying clutch system diagrams from the ETK and even having an email exchange from someone at SACHS (BMW's clutch supplier).

The E46 does NOT have a CDV. Sure, it has a crappy, numb clutch. But no CDV.

We all decided to blame the self-adjusting mechanism for lack of a better suspect. The perception of a delay is common. I felt it. But I am 99% confident that the E46 does not have the CDV.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i spoke with an BMW instructor to Master Techs and he said all BMW's have the CDV, including the M5. i was in SC for the 2-day driving school at the BMW Performance Center. the center also holds classes for techs. it was interesting to see the M5 engine on display.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not exactly new, not exactly old... I exchanged a few messages with him and he stated that the CDV is NOT in all E46s. He hasn't been able to find it in some.

That said, I'm going to get my car up on ramps soon and go exploring.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't see why not, if they've started integrating the valve into the cylinder... The big question is whether or not you can buy the old style slave cylinder anymore.

I look VERY forward to going exploring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.