BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Driv'N In Sunny Cali
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my clutch fan blade exploded on me as it got caught in between my shroud and my radiator. I'm not sure of what to do at the moment. I was able to drive it home being that it was late at night with no stop and go traffic. So what should I do to fix this problem? My shroud is history along with my fan. I was thinking about replacing it but how would I know that this problem won't happen again?? How do you make sure the shroud is secured onto the radiator so that it won't come apart like it did again when I replace it?? Or should I proceed with the FDM? I live in Sacramento and summer is just around the corner, not sure how my car will handle the heat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
Don't do the fan delete mod. It isn't safe. Buy a new fan and shroud and install them yourself. They're cheap.

This was a preventable accident. You are supposed to replace the entire cooling system every 75-100k miles (or if you don't know the last time it was changed). This includes:

-Radiator
-Expansion tank
-Expansion tank cap
-Bleeder screw
-Thermostat
-Thermostat housing
-Fan
-Belts
-Hoses

The issue is that the plastic in each of these components gets very brittle with time, and will explode without warning (just like your fan did). You need to replace all of them as preventative maintenance before anything fails, or else you'll be spending a lot more money to fix bigger problems associate with shredded shrouds, radiators, overheated motors, etc.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
+1 on not doing the FDM, especially in Sac. Its stupid and has no benefits. Repair as appropriate or replace with am electric fan.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
The Achilles heal of the FDM is that it relies on the auxillary fan for any cooling not provided by air flow from the car moving. This means you are relying on a fan that is likely as old as your car and now you are running it lot of the time consuming it's life even faster. If it quits you have no cooling at all and a likely severe over heat which carries the risk of a warped head/blown head gasket. Karl is correct that the key cooling system parts are maintenance items that should be changed on a mileage/age schedule. It's not very expensive if you do the work yourself.
My fan had 85K miles on it when it went. I was backing into my garage and was really fortunate that it didn't do major damage. I had the cooling system overhaul on my agenda but hadn't gotten around to it.
It's going to be every 50K miles or 5 years whichever comes first from here on....

·
Driv'N In Sunny Cali
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies, do you guys know of any DIYs on this project?? In the process of looking for parts to replace the cooling system.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
Yes, DIYs are available for everything. Just search on Google for it, and you'll find what you need. Also download the Bentley repair manual as a PDF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts