BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I have yet to properly test my 5 speed since it arrived in it's new home in my trans tunnel until today. Went from a roll in 1st (ASC off because with the manual, it barks second) and went to 7000rpm (shark software + 5 speed = glorious!) and then pounded it into 2nd. I am pretty sure I blasted my back right tire off but it was cold so it didn't squeal. Does the E46 sort of have a "dead" feel like that, or was it just me? BTW, my car sounds like a YZ250 dirt bike with this exhaust leak, embarassing! But wow, with the 3.46 and the 7000rpm shifts, it is like a different car! I dare say I could keep up with a stock 330 thru 60mph.....:dunno:

I hear the local drag strip calling my name. :eeps:

Edit: seriously, how long did you people think it would take for this post to come up?

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
haha glad you're finally enjoying the mt some! mine has a bit of a weak 1st-2nd shift but i have assumed it was my CDV from what i've read here...
Don't know if i'm even barking up the right tree:dunno:, definately wanted to say congrats again thought! :drive:

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha glad you're finally enjoying the mt some! mine has a bit of a weak 1st-2nd shift but i have assumed it was my CDV from what i've read here...
Don't know if i'm even barking up the right tree:dunno:, definately wanted to say congrats again thought! :drive:
Hmm. I have no CDV. And oh yes, me enjoying!

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Hmm, the M3 only chirps 2nd if I have my all seasons on, my Hankooks just sort of grabs and digs in.

I think I need a vanos replacement though. :(

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
The flywheel/SAC combo kills a little bit of the "directness" when slammin` & jammin`....with the DSC/TC defeated, I can get it to bark the tires going into third. There`s a road by my house where there are long sections of smooth tar on top of the blacktop, and from a first gear roll, I can get around 20 or 30 feet of rubber power-shifting into second if I hit it right.... it`s very satisfying, albeit in a juvenile-delinquent sort of way.... :)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm telling ya, someone better start the Smolck Clutch Replacement Fund already.....
Nah, no more "funds" already! I am certain this one will last. Other than a few of these "spirited romps" (purely in the name of "testing"mind you) I am driving like a normal guy. Probably a little better than normal because my car sounds so bad with this exhaust leak, I don't like to hear it when it gets high in the RPM range.

The flywheel/SAC combo kills a little bit of the "directness" when slammin` & jammin`....with the DSC/TC defeated, I can get it to bark the tires going into third. There`s a road by my house where there are long sections of smooth tar on top of the blacktop, and from a first gear roll, I can get around 20 or 30 feet of rubber power-shifting into second if I hit it right.... it`s very satisfying, albeit in a juvenile-delinquent sort of way.... :)
I have a similar patch of road near me. Looks like time to see what I can do. Also need to race my neighbor in his 5 spd, non 3.46 diff 323 and see what the difference really is.....

When you are slamming gears, what clutch feel do you mean? Yeah e46 clutches feel artificial compared to say an e30 clutch.

manual 328s with a 3.46 can barely walk an auto 330 btw :)
Yea, artificial is a good word. It almost felt like it slipped, but that could be because I forgot to clean a small layer of crap off the pressure plate before install. (yea, dumb, but I was fighting so hard with resetting the SAC mechanism I just forgot). I am sure it will "self clean" though.

Also, I have a friend with a 330 step, guess I need to call him for a race. 2nd gear in my car is STRONG

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
I just recently discovered through a recent post that HOLDING the DSC button for a few seconds will turn off traction control too....the love for my car just grew ten fold when i smoked them through 1st and most of 2nd...aaahh:smokin:

Smolck, I know you said no to clutch funds but for the love of all things holy can we chip in some coin for the exhaust leak! the video sounded horrible brother :eeps:

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smolck, I know you said no to clutch funds but for the love of all things holy can we chip in some coin for the exhaust leak! the video sounded horrible brother :eeps:
Don't worry, I bought the new header gaskets today. Just got home and once the car cools down, in they go. :thumbup: I can't stand it either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts