BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Designer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm just getting back into the swing of things and pulling my car out of storage.

I have a 94 325i and I swapped the automatic transmission for a 95 328is manual transmission. It ran great for a few years, then the clutch (which already had many miles on it) gave out and I had to replace it. I got it replaced and then after a few months it felt like the clutch was slipping. but then I realized that it was just VERY slow to engage.

In a driveway, I would be able to turn the car on, push the clutch in, revv the engine a bit, and let the clutch out like normal, but then I realized that my foot was completely off of the pedal and the clutch was not engaged. with a little bit of revving, and my foot off of the clutch, 3-5 seconds later, the clutch would engage and it would engage very strong. I would be able to do anything in first gear without it slipping.

When I would shift into second, the same thing would happen. I would push the clutch in, it would dissengage, I can then switch gears, then when I let the pedal out, the clutch would not engage again for another 3-5 seconds. After it engaged, it would be strong.

Now, I noticed that when I would be in third or fourth, after the clutch engaged, I tried to pour on some speed. and I noticed it would slip for a about a second and a half (depending on how hard I would push the gas pedal) and go right back into gear.

Anyone have any ideas on what's happening? I've bled the clutch and replaced the slave cylinder but still, nothing.

I want to get my baby back on the road as soon as possible... summer is just around the corner!

Thank you in advance!

·
Designer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't want this to get lost in the mix - I am in pretty dire needs here to get this done. I have asked in another forum and it just got buried in the mix.

Anyone?!

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
Welcome to the fest first of all! Second off, dont post twice in less than 6 hours in the same thread with no reply. Its seen as noobish and dumb, as everyone knows patience is key around here. To your question now...
It definitely sounds like something was put in wrong or there may be low fluid. You did check that, right?

·
Designer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Drive by, It's a good thing I posted 6 hrs and 45 minutes after!

- I had this problem a while ago before I put it into storage for good, posted on two other sites back then and no replies. I just didn't want this to fall of the page again and have it forgotten.

When everything was put back in, I did not see any extra parts; screws, nuts, bolts, springs, etc. Everything went back in, in reverse order. After I bled the he system (after I put in the new slave cylinder) I was absolutely sure that I had enough fluid.

Is there any part that doesn't come with a usual clutch kit that could have gone bad? This seems strange, but could the master cylinder have gone bad? It seems like the master cylinder is 'gunked up'? not returning correctly? Not too sure... the throw out baring?

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
:rofl: When I said 6 hours, I meant more/less same day. I forgive this time though :)

A throwout bearing could seem a culprit. Did you order a clutch kit off pelican?

·
Designer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, yeah, sorry, I'm just being a smart ass - I'm usually better about it...

Actually, I can't remember what specific site I got it from, but I know it was one of the F1 racing stage 1 clutch kits (something like This one but made for a 2.5-2.8 litre engine. I wanted my clutch to be somewhat "on or off". Yes, it's a thin disc, but I didn't have it for too many miles before something went wrong. Plus, when it DOES engage, it still engages strong and does not slip.

I ordered a master cylinder a while ago, I just have to get in there (somehow) and replace it. That has got to be one of the most difficult spots to get to, well, maybe that one and the very top bolt of the transmission... That bolt sucks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts