BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just had this message pop up on my HUD. "CLUTCH OVERHEATED". Yep, she's an SMG 650i Vert. Was trying to back into a lot on a steep slope, hesistation and all, took me close to bloody 5 minutes to back my baby into this tiny lot. There was a burning odour (not from my pants) but cleared after I left the bonnet open for 20 minutes. LOL...minor scare but is this something I should get the BMW techs to check?

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
I Think So But...

What did you do hours before, a day before? Are there any details you've left out, like the car was running for 5 hours and..? More details so a better assessment can be made.

In any event, you should take your 6er to the shop to have it checked. Be fore warned that your SA should/will ask you some of the same questions I've asked, so get your story correct.

The SA will have his tech run a diagnostic test (Computer) and check the logs. Hopefully your Key fob has the data logged into its memory, if not and they find nothing on the computer diagnostic then the tech will try to reproduce the symptom you vaguely described. The SMG does some strange things but i suspect it was a software glitch of some sorts. I can tell you some stories about my SMG adventures but I'll leave that for another topic.

Good luck with your clutch overheat message and please let us know the 411.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
I'm sorry for Jesmal, and I hope it isn't a serious problem, but he's now Lord Hotclutch. Sapphire black SMG convertible sounds awfully nice. Let me guess - black leather and ruthenium?

By the way, GMAN, I don't think Jesmal "vaguely described" the problem. It sounded pretty specific to me. What with the screen warning and the smell and all. (If it was on the HUD, wouldn't it be on the iDontDrive, too, if he scrolled to it?)

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
It's typically pretty difficult with a rear wheel drive car to back up a steep hill and it's especially true when you're trying to make precision movements while backing up.

Had a similar warning on my car some months back when reversing into a tight spot on a very steep hill. This is a downside of SMG in that you can't control the amount of clutch slip required to keep the car moving in the right direction. Never had the issue in any other situation or other slopes (San Francisco is full of these) that are not as steep. In fact on the same slope the only car I don't have issues with is my all-wheel drive 325xi wagon.

Let us know if the techs offer any solutions.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
I Missed It

Okay, I missed it, whatever it was but what I still don't know if the car... Well forget it.

JOHNNY 5, need more input!:p

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
JESMAL said:
Guys,

Just had this message pop up on my HUD. "CLUTCH OVERHEATED". Yep, she's an SMG 650i Vert. Was trying to back into a lot on a steep slope, hesistation and all, took me close to bloody 5 minutes to back my baby into this tiny lot. There was a burning odour (not from my pants) but cleared after I left the bonnet open for 20 minutes. LOL...minor scare but is this something I should get the BMW techs to check?
No... its not the car but rather ... its YOU...

You need to learn to drive the SMG on a grade. SMG is a manual and if you drive it like an auto, the clutch will over heat. Take a look at the owner's manual there is a section that discuss this;)

Point is, get used to using the hand-brakes on stop and go traffic with a steep grade.:)

hope this helps,

beewang:bigpimp:

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dudes, you guys crack me up. Lord HOTCLUTCH, alrighty then, that I accept.

I know SMG = automated clutch, and NO, I don't drive it like an auto. It was a really tricky parking situation I got myself into and didn't expect to spend 5 minutes backing the girl into the lot. Guess I had the clutch work overtime.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
JESMAL said:
It was a really tricky parking situation ....
Did you take up 1.5 parking spaces? :rofl:

Seriously though, let the BMW technicians sort it out. Car is still under warranty? If so, then no worries. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This happened to me also. I was backing up on a steep hill where there was no way to turn the car around.
The warning sign went on and I waited till the clutch cooled down.
After the warning light went off, in manual mode I've noticed that changing to second gear from first gear was not happening like before.
It needend to go over 2800rpm.

But after a while it became normal again.
Now, it works fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure exactly about BMW's SMG but if it is similar to other manufacturer's transmissions such as Ferrari's F1 and Maserati's CambioCorsa, reversing is always a "clutch burner". Reason being is that in reverse the software is programmed for more slippage and slower engagement, thought pattern behind this is to not allow immediate engagement like in forward gears because they are afraid of too much power engaging immediately while in reverse. I have known a few Ferrari and Maser owners burning up cluthes trying to back up a driveway or similar.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This has happened to me. I have the stick. My girlfriend tried to pull the car into my garage in 3rd gear, she thought she was in 1st. Imagine that. The burning clutch smell was overwhelming and hung around in the garage and under the hood for three days. After that, no smell and no problems, this happened 5k ago.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
My car (steptronic) can stink pretty bad at times.

When I drive it hard I smell something pretty rank. Not sure if it is the brakes or the tranny getting hot. :dunno:

·
Banned
761 Posts
chuck92103 said:
My car (steptronic) can stink pretty bad at times.

When I drive it hard I smell something pretty rank. Not sure if it is the brakes or the tranny getting hot. :dunno:
If you drive hard, my bet is the smell is coming off of the brakes It's certainly something entirely different than this is we STEP owners have no clutch to overheat.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BigHat said:
If you drive hard, my bet is the smell is coming off of the brakes It's certainly something entirely different than this is we STEP owners have no clutch to overheat.
I don't even think I am braking hard. :dunno: Seems any moderate braking could cause the issue as well.

I know if I baby the car, then no smell occurs. :(

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chuck92103 said:
I know if I baby the car, then no smell occurs. :(
Kind of hard to do that, the 6er ain't known for granny shifting.... LOL :p

I checked it again last night, no problems at all. Backed into the lot again on a steep slope (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) but did it pretty quick this time so no more burning smells or "CLUTCH OVERHEATED" annoying warning signs. :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.