Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many people have posted similar problems with their clutch, but has anyone ever gotten it resolved?

I have a '00 323ci. Sometimes, more often than not, when I press and release the clutch pedal I feel a vibrating, rubbery feel. My dealer replaced bushings, clutch assembly and master cylinder, yet problem is still there. What the hell? I drove another E46 3-series just to see if this is just the way this clutch acts, but I did not feel anything but smooth travel.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ack,

I've had the same problem....see posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
same here !!!

Everything you have done, my dealer did the same.

It comes and goes now. I've just come to accept it as a characteristic design flaw.

Car seems to perform ok. Just going to live with it. The dealer kept the car for two weeks trying to get it resolved.

Although better.....never totally gone.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Wait! I have the same exact problem, and the dealer could not find what was wrong with the clutch. the clutch vibrates when i press it. The problem comes on and off. Could someone explain this? geomax, can you PM me what you did bmwsfca. I have a 2001 325Ci.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Before my car fully warms up, I can feel a "click" or a snap halfway through the clutch pedal travel-- but I only feel it when clutching out from a standstill -- or if I depress the clutch pedal while stopped. Is this what you guys are talking about?

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
robg said:
Before my car fully warms up, I can feel a "click" or a snap halfway through the clutch pedal travel-- but I only feel it when clutching out from a standstill -- or if I depress the clutch pedal while stopped. Is this what you guys are talking about?
This is similiar to what happens to me, depressing or releasing the clutch. More so when depressing, less so when releasing and only when the car is warming up. It happened again this morning, outside temp was about 64.

Edit: RChoudry - I found your post and read thru it. Good info in there. This is exactly the issue I'm having. My production date was 4/17 and my car has a little over 4,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch problems

It appears that everyone is having the same problem--just describing it differently. "Rumbly", "juddering", "fluttering", "vibrating". All sounds the same to me. On top of that, there is the issue of "popping", "jerking" and "clicking". The later happens less frequently, and often when the car is fairly cold. Aside from replacing the clutch, I've been told by some BMW techs that to check the throw-out bearing. (There is an article in this months Roundel about clutches and how to tell when they are going bad. They mention a "rumbly" feel. And point out that it is the throw-out bearing.)

The thing with the throw-out bearing--from what I've been told--is that you have to remove the transmission to get to it. That scares me.

Here's what I'm going to do: Call my service department for the fourth time. They are going to shit, then they are going to be *****y. I am going to point out that this appears to be a E46 model issue given that the message boards are full of people saying the exact same thing about their clutches, then we'll see what they say.

I will report with the news...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Whats really baffling about the whole clutch situation, is how it comes and goes. Just in the past few days, it's nearly gone away again. Of course, when I bring it to the dealer, and it's in the "out" phase - we all know what I'm going to be told...."we road tested the car, and...."

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
i get the fluttering when i depress the clutch at high rpm. sometimes there is also a small thunk sound. (10/99 323ci)

kyle: re: tranny removal to get at the throw out bearing, do they need to do the same for clutch replacement?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tranny removal for clutch replacement

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure. I had my clutch assembly replaced. Now, I'm wondering if they did have to remove my transmission.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Please keep us posted

Kyle - Let us know what you come up with.

In my case, the tranny was taken out and reinstalled 3 times.
Throw out bearings, forks, pressure plate, clutch plate, etc...

Problem comes and goes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All that, and you still have problems? Wow. Have any other new problems occured as a result of all this tinkering on your car?

I haven't called my service department yet because I know it's going to be a battle. One I'm sure I will have to fight with the Service Manager. Now, I'm wondering if it will be worth it or not.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I wonder how many of us complaining here is just a function of not being used to a dual mass flywheel coupled with the self adjusting clutch.

Basically, with the self adjusting clutch, there's a small spring that pushes the pressure plate out as the clutch disc wears. Couple that with the springs in a dual mass flywheel, what you may possibly get is a vibration upon clutch engagement due to the spring tension between the self adjusting clutch and the spring buffers in the flywheel. Sure it takes some getting used to, but it's not broken.

I am very surprised at the rate of complaint here to think that maybe some of it is just the new self-adjusting clutch design, especially with those who complain that it comes and goes.

43,000 miles and the clutch still feels like the first day I got it. ;)

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
hack: then the service dept should know this and explain it to us rather then taking the car apart. :confused: sounds like bmw doesn't know this or does know it but does a crap job of informing the dealerships.

for some reason i do get this spring tension / sound once in a while from my brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The HACK said:
I wonder how many of us complaining here is just a function of not being used to a dual mass flywheel coupled with the self adjusting clutch.

Basically, with the self adjusting clutch, there's a small spring that pushes the pressure plate out as the clutch disc wears. Couple that with the springs in a dual mass flywheel, what you may possibly get is a vibration upon clutch engagement due to the spring tension between the self adjusting clutch and the spring buffers in the flywheel. Sure it takes some getting used to, but it's not broken.

I am very surprised at the rate of complaint here to think that maybe some of it is just the new self-adjusting clutch design, especially with those who complain that it comes and goes.

43,000 miles and the clutch still feels like the first day I got it. ;)
Easy for you to say :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Self adjusting clutches

Unfortunately, the problem isn't related to the feel of a self adjusting clutch or the dual mass flywheel.

Been driving a variety of manual transmission cars over the past 22 years. Also tore into a bucnh of them since I was kid.

This problem is real and not due to inexperience.

The BMW dealer's Service Director also had a hard time trying to fugure out why.

When the problem is there, what little that is visual seems to be working ok.

For Kyle.....when and if you have the conversation with your dealer, I know that BMWNA was involved with my problem. There has been mention of some TSB - Technical Service Bulletin on this problem. The fix is to replace the entire clutch assembly.

Unfortunately, my car took some additional damage while the repairs were going on for over a week. Was given a BMW loaner during that time. Damage due to paint contamination from some sort of fluid getting on the car while in the shop. Fixed - buffed out the paint.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
that's the problem w/ bringing the car in for all these fixes. i have yet to get the car back w/o any minor damage of some sort. there is always some small damage whenever the dealer or whoever works on the car :mad: :bawling: :banghead:

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
HW said:
that's the problem w/ bringing the car in for all these fixes. i have yet to get the car back w/o any minor damage of some sort. there is always some small damage whenever the dealer or whoever works on the car :mad: :bawling: :banghead:

Yup-- you always have to honestly ask yourself if you absolutely can't live with a problem. Odds are that you'll get your car back with an equivalent or worse issue (maybe even several). It sucks to have to think this way-- but if you don't, you'll quickly end up far more miserable than you started. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts