BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am really confused with so many suggestions and options when I did a search on my options to replace my clutch on a 2001 E39 530i. My clutch is slipping really bad. I have already done the CDV mod. Can any one of you please suggest what to do? Should I be replacing the Flywheel also? Do I go with dualmass or light weight flywheel? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Hi guys
I am really confused with so many suggestions and options when I did a search on my options to replace my clutch on a 2001 E39 530i. My clutch is slipping really bad. I have already done the CDV mod. Can any one of you please suggest what to do? Should I be replacing the Flywheel also? Do I go with dualmass or light weight flywheel? Thanks in advance.
If this is a daily driver, I'd recommend replacing with original equipment. Only a small minority of owners replace with aftermarket gear, with mixed outcomes. If your car has over 100k miles, you might want to get the flywheel replaced too.

If you are looking to save $ on parts, partsgeek.com is a good (= cheap) source for the LuK Repset clutch kit and flywheel for your car.

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks for the simplified response. I will go with LUK
Not sure why no one else has posted. Some folks do have good luck with aftermarket kits and know the good, bad, and ugly options. I only know that the original equipment works, and certainly feels smoother when new (just replaced mine a couple months ago). Theoretically you should be able to install the M3 clutch/flywheel combination on these sixes but only a few threads exist on success in that area. Searching e46fanatics.com might reveal more info as the engines and transmissions are the same.

· Registered
615 Posts
Hi guys
If your clutch is slipping badly, it is very likely that you have damaged the friction surface on the dual mass flywheel. This is not repairable and can't be resurfaced like some other manufacturer's clutches. In addition, high mileage dual mass flywheels can separate where the outer section and inner section slip relative to each other and eventually slip 100% of the time. I learned this the hard way with my E34 525iT. I cheaped out on a clutch replacement and reused a dual mass flywheel. It failed less than a year after the clutch job and I had to do it all over again. I have a 3.2 liter S52 engine swap in my touring. I like the UUC lightweight single mass aluminum flywheel coupled with an OEM M5 clutch. This is a kit they sell for about $900 and it works well and will last a long time in a car that is not abused. It is much less expensive than the OEM dual mass flywheel and clutch. I am pretty sure the one I bought is the same fitment as for your E39 530i. I have also had very good experiences with UUC customer service when I have called with questions about their products. I have their short shifter also in my E34 and intend to install one in an E39 530i Sport model I am getting ready to buy.

If cost is no object and you liked the OEM dual mass flywheel and clutch, you can't go wrong buying a new set. They generally last at least 100K miles unless really abused. I just like the M5 clutch with single mass flywheel better.

Here you go. They are selling blemished items at a 20% discount right now:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/shar...=350089669&CategoryID=853&Target=products.asp

I have no relationship with UUC other than being a satisfied customer.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
I replaced my clutch and pressure plate on my 540 at ~108K 4 years ago. I did not replace the dual mass flywheel, it looked fine with no problems between the 2 sections. I'm at 138K now and everything works fine.
These flywheels can be resurfaced if you can find a machine shop that knows how to do it.

· Registered
615 Posts
I have experienced two dual mass flywheel separations at 165K miles on my 97 328iC and 175K miles on my 525iT with S52 swap. On E34 and E39 six cylinder cars with > 100K miles, my recommendation is to replace dual mass unless you can accept risk of having to do all that labor again before the new clutch wears out. I might add that when the dual mass flywheel comes apart, you are stuck where ever you are and have to get towed. It is worse failure mode than slipping clutch. I can't speak from experience with the 8 cylinder models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.