BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the morning before my car is wormed-up my clutch shudders during slow releases. I have dumped my clutch many times, and I have 3000mi on the car. Anyone else have this problem?

·
10,856 Posts
I have clutch shudder, too. Sadly, at around 2K, I loaned my car to my parents and they blew the clutch. I doubt that they'll let me get anything now.

On the plus side, when I finally replace the current clutch, I'll get something a LOT better.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have this problem and my car is currently at the dealer getting a whole new clutch assembly. There is a TSB on it. Do a search and it should come up with one or two of my previous posts. Search on Throw out bearing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I'm now going to call my dealer and explain to them that I've never abused my clutch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just got my car back from getting the clutch replaced. No nothciness and the shudder is completely gone. They replaced the whole assembly and some ball pin also. It started on my paper work that the clutch disk was scored. Oh well, things are back to normal. Do I have to break the clutch in? If so, what do I have to do?

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
DrAMG said:
What's dumping the clutch? :dunno:
It goes something like... from a dead stop bring your motor up to about 4,000RPM with first gear (or reverse! heh) selected and the clutch in. Then quickly remove your left foot from the clutch pedal.

Next you get to borrow your friend's car to take your clutch to the dump.

Something like that... :D

--SONET

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dump my clutch all the time, and a few times I was going like 15mph in reverse when I dumped it. The only issue I have with my clutch is the shuddering when the car is not warmed up. I have just under 3,000mi on my car.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
thaydith said:
I dump my clutch all the time, and a few times I was going like 15mph in reverse when I dumped it. The only issue I have with my clutch is the shuddering when the car is not warmed up. I have just under 3,000mi on my car.
Dude your clutch isn't going to last past 10k if you keep that up! Once in a while is ok, but daily or semi-daily... no no!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm kind of exaggerating; I only do it like once every couple weeks. The only thing that I get pissed about is when I am trying to burn out while turning, only one wheel spins. O'h well, have you replaced your tires yet Webguy330i?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
thaydith said:
I'm kind of exaggerating; I only do it like once every couple weeks. The only thing that I get pissed about is when I am trying to burn out while turning, only one wheel spins. O'h well, have you replaced your tires yet Webguy330i?
I had to replace the fronts thanks to a nail... but my rear tires are at about 2/16" tread depth. :eek:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
DrAMG said:
What's dumping the clutch? :dunno:
You don't have a clutch. You don't need to worry about it.

·
10,856 Posts
Interesting thing I found today.
Seriously burning the clutch clears up the shudder. This is NOT something you can do accidentally. The only reason I did it was because I intend to replace the clutch in the near future, anyhow. I do NOT recommend this unless you are prepared to replace your clutch.

At any rate, I revved to the limiter and engaged really slowly in second, so slowly that the car was barely accelerating. I kept this up until WELL past the scent 'o clutch began permeating the cabin. Maybe thirty seconds or so. Engaged normally afterwards... The clutch felt a little loose, but otherwise OK... and NO shudder. I've put about thirty miles on since I did that and it's still gone. (I'd put abotu fifty miles on the car earlier today.) I'll report back tomorrow.

Again, I am NOT recommending this. It is BAD for your clutch!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Seriously burning the clutch clears up the shudder. This is NOT something you can do accidentally. The only reason I did it was because I intend to replace the clutch in the near future, anyhow. I do NOT recommend this unless you are prepared to replace your clutch.

At any rate, I revved to the limiter and engaged really slowly in second, so slowly that the car was barely accelerating. I kept this up until WELL past the scent 'o clutch began permeating the cabin. Maybe thirty seconds or so. Engaged normally afterwards... The clutch felt a little loose, but otherwise OK... and NO shudder. I've put about thirty miles on since I did that and it's still gone. (I'd put abotu fifty miles on the car earlier today.) I'll report back tomorrow.

Wholly fried-clutch batman! :yikes: :yikes:

Can that not fry more than just the clutch? I'm not real familar with the internal workings of a manual transmission, but one has got to think that the heat generated by slowing releasing the clutch at such high RPM's might damage some other piece of equipment.

Ah well, if it's going to be replaced anyways...

You could always call that the 'ode de Clutch' maneuver :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

It would make sense since the clutch plate is very similar to brake pad material. What you did was like slamming on your brakes at highway speeds to clear the pads, but as you know the problem will come back.... It has something to do with the throw out bearing scoring the clutch plate. This score is what causes the shudder.

They have changed this on the replacement clutches that are installing.

·
10,856 Posts
Well, maybe I can drag a replacement out of them when it comes back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.