BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got a bad clutch slave cylinder on a 1999 E46. The car shifts great most of the time, but if you hold your foot on the clutch at a stop then it seems that the clutch starts to release on it's own and will often stall out (yes, I know how to drive a stick quite well).

It's also sometimes very difficult to get it into gear, like the clutch isn't fully disengaging the transmission. Then if you pump the clutch pedal a couple times it goes into gear nice and smooth.

At some point I'm gonna jack it up and get under there to see if we can see fluid leaking. There aren't any leaks showing up on the driveway, so it's not leaking much if it is leaking at all.

Any way, assuming the clutch slave is bad on this thing, is that the kind of thing a DIYer can take on and get it done pretty reasonable amount of time? I have a decent tool kit and have wrenched on cars off and on for a long time. Just don't know much about this one because we just got it. Youtube videos seem to make it out as a pretty simple procedure. What do you guys think?

Earl

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I think I've got a bad clutch slave cylinder on a 1999 E46. The car shifts great most of the time, but if you hold your foot on the clutch at a stop then it seems that the clutch starts to release on it's own and will often stall out (yes, I know how to drive a stick quite well).

It's also sometimes very difficult to get it into gear, like the clutch isn't fully disengaging the transmission. Then if you pump the clutch pedal a couple times it goes into gear nice and smooth.

At some point I'm gonna jack it up and get under there to see if we can see fluid leaking. There aren't any leaks showing up on the driveway, so it's not leaking much if it is leaking at all.

Any way, assuming the clutch slave is bad on this thing, is that the kind of thing a DIYer can take on and get it done pretty reasonable amount of time? I have a decent tool kit and have wrenched on cars off and on for a long time. Just don't know much about this one because we just got it. Youtube videos seem to make it out as a pretty simple procedure. What do you guys think?

Earl
Could also be the clutch master cylinder, but the slave is easier to change first: Here's one of many on-line DIYs for this job although most of them refer to the E36, which is very similar.
Do try to fill the slave on the bench before installing since the bleeder winds up on the side rather than the top, so it is hard to get air out of it after installation.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Clutch_Slave/E36-Clutch_Slave.htm

·
Keeping it surreal
43,084 Posts
As per normal, common sense procedure....first things first !

Before replacing anything, check for the presence of a CDV (Clutch Delay Valve). If you have one, remove it ! See if that changes anything. :thumbup:

(If you type "CDV-ectomy" into the SEARCHbox, you`ll see more info on this.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm all for doing first things first. Can you explain how the CDV could contribute to the problem I described, i.e. the clutch pedal getting soft if you hold the pedal down?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,084 Posts
I'm all for doing first things first. Can you explain how the CDV could contribute to the problem I described, i.e. the clutch pedal getting soft if you hold the pedal down?
If it is restricting the flow of hydraulic fluid, that could be a possible symptom. In any event, the CDV serves no useful purpose, it should be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts